[018] NEW ORDER

"Selena!"  her voice breathy as she took me into her arms

   "Selena!" her voice breathy as she took me into her arms. She smelt of roses and earl grey tea, I wrapped my arms around her neck as if to prove I wasn't dreaming.

"You're an angel, god bless you Marsh." She chuckled as she inspected my face, hurrying me in as I trembled from the bitter wind out.

Thankfully her father wasn't home, we had previously confided in one another with our parental issues. Some twisted solace bonded us, yet we seemed so distant.

She quickly rushed me to a warm shower. As I stripped off the clothes, I relived painful memories. The lights flickered and the sepia color set over my skin, the bathroom walls were covered in wallpaper from the last decade.

     I stood under the running water, sobbing until my eyes ached. My blubbers were disguised under the sound of the tap. Everything melted under that warmth, absolutely everything. Almost as if I was being reborn before my own eyes. It felt so nice to wash off the tedious night, the night i'd definitely have to report.

***

     "I know it's frozen but, it's the best I could do. I'm afraid I'm not the best of cooks." She chuckled as she placed the TV dinner across from me on the round table, taking a seat immediately after.

     Her ember hair rested on her shoulders, keeping me completely mesmerized. Her sea-glass eyes shone under the kitchen light as her tinted lips curled into a small grin. Her hands were entwined within one another as she patiently awaited my explanation. Not forcing anything upon me, simply allowing me a chance to breathe.

     "Sorry for dropping in like this, I'm a certified mess!" she offered me a red as I kindly accepted, needing some kind of comfort from the boy who was happier than I was these days. Our planets didn't align any longer, mercury was suddenly in retrograde, it made sense why he'd quit me, like the addict he was.

     "No worries, please, I'm always here for you. I know he and you haven't been speaking now but doesn't change the fact you're still a friend, a good one at that." Her grin spreading to her cheeks as they gave emotion to her eyes. Her hand reached out and sprawled over mine, "What is it? You scared the living shit out of me when I got that call, are you okay?"

     My eyes trailed off to the side, how could I explain this without making myself look exceedingly needy? "I won't judge you," her voice broke through my trance as she whispered to me.

     Silently, I replayed the night in my mind, I was almost certain you could see the tape rewinding on the iris of my eyes. "I was seeing someone new," I had become so accustomed to the flow of tears running down my cheeks that I didn't notice when they began streaming down, "Some guy downtown I barely knew."

    She felt the fear radiating off me, "Why don't we get you to bed, then you can finish the story for me, hm? You'll feel better once you're warm." she cooed, the sleep in her eyes as she guided me to her bedroom in her pinstripe pajamas.

      Above her bed was a painting of a dragonfly, as I looked around, I thought to myself, what would I  give to have such nice things? The lamp on her nightstand covered our faces in a golden light as we slipped under the covers.

      "Go ahead," she said between yawns, her eyes on the edge of closing. I gulped as I recalled once more, "he...he tried to" How could I phrase such an incident? It was painstakingly embarrassing.

      "Oh, Selena," I could hear her heart shattering through her voice, tears forming at the rim of her eyes. Her voice was hushed, almost like a whisper as she gasped and took me in her arms. A sigh of relief left my body as I sobbed into her arms.

     "I stopped him before he could, but I was so terrified I thought it was the end!" I kept my voice low, I didn't want her to know all about this situation. It was so mortifying, I wanted to be saved from him so badly but not a single soul could hear my screams.

       "I know you did, It wasn't your fault at all," she held me tightly, my head resting above her heart. Her breathing was low, however, her heart was racing as if she'd run across a field. She silently ran her hand up and down my hair, she too was grasping the full extent of the event.

       "We can figure this out tomorrow, I think I need some rest." The warmth of her body slowly soothed me to sleep, my arms wrapped around her torso like a child.

        "I'm afraid you'll have to be out by tomorrow morning, I'll phone up someone who can help you. My father should be home early tomorrow and I can't risk having you here. He's rather anti-social, no visits to Derry county jail." she found laughter in the depths of her twisted state, I did too.

          My eyelids fluttered, tomorrow would be frantic, more than tonight. In the comfort of Beverly's arms, I sighed to sleep, and my tears dried. I felt her shift from under me and later I heard the dial tone, but I was too gone and tired to care. I needed this rest, I needed to live through this.