A Simple Slip

Legolas' POV:

We were climbing the mountain with the Fellowship and Nessa at the front leading. Being Elves, we didn't sink into the snow like the rest of the Fellowship. 

"I don't mean to be rude, but why do you wear that cloak all the time?" I asked Nessa.

She smiled her charming smile at me, making me smile.

"Well, it was from my brother who had tried to help me when I was little but died helping me, so I wear it in respect for him as well as my necklace." She explained to me.

I suddenly felt terrible for asking her a question like that.

"I'm sorry Nessa. I didn't mean to offend you or anything." I said, apologizing.

She smiled at me and put a hand on my shoulder.

"You have nothing to be sorry about, Legolas." She said, removing her hand.

Then we turned around, hearing someone fall. Nessa ran down to help Frodo up. He was searching for something. Then Boromir picked up the ring from the snow and stared at it. I raised my bow and an arrow, directed at Boromir in case he tried anything. Nessa was reaching for her daggers and Aragorn had his hand on his sword.

"Boromir! Give the ring to Frodo." Aragorn told Boromir.

Boromir wasn't moving anywhere. I pulled the arrow back further. Nessa marched up to Boromir and whispered something in his ear. He looked at Nessa and gave the ring back to Frodo. I put my arrow back in its quiver and my bow back on its strap. 

"As you wish, I care not." Boromir said, obviously lying.

He ruffled Frodo's hair and turned around smiling at Nessa. She looked really uncomfortable. She came walking up to me and I asked, 

"What is the matter?" I asked worried.

I cared about her very much, more than a friend, I would do anything for her. She just shook her head and pulled her hood up over her head, not wanting to talk to anyone. I let her be. I heard a very strong wind a little bit away from us and I knew we would have a snow storm soon.