Tracking

We had been following the pack of Orcs for three days and three nights. We had no rest, no food to eat and no water to drink. Gimli was about ready to fall to the ground while Legolas, Aragorn and I were still going strong. Aragorn stopped once more and put his ear to a rock. Legolas and I was quiet, for Aragorn was trying to listen. Gimli was still about twenty metres away. I looked at Legolas and smiled. His eyes lit up when I smiled at him. I walked over to him so we could talk.

"Hi." He greeted me when I neared him.

I took my hood off for the first time since Boromir's death. I hadn't really been 'good' friends with Boromir, but I wouldn't want him to die. It made me sad because i seemed to be losing everyone recently, first Gandalf, then Boromir, Frodo and Sam had left to take the ring to Mordor and now Merry and Pippin were taken by a pack of Orcs. I only had Legolas, Gimli and Aragorn left. Legolas pulled me out of my thoughts.

"Nessa, I just wanted to say-"

Legolas was interrupted by Aragorn.

"Their pace has quickened. They must have caught our scent. We are gaining on them. Quickly!" He ordered.

I swear I saw Legolas roll his eyes. We all ran after Aragorn. Gimli reached where we had briefly stopped.

"I'm wasted on cross-country! We Dwarves are natural sprinters! Very dangerous over short distances." Gimli assured all of us.

We ran downhill and saw footprints on the ground, many footprints. We all stopped again, this time Gimli was with us. Aragorn crouched down and examined the ground. Legolas came up to me again. He smiled at me and I smiled back at him. He reached up and took my hood off. I felt a little exposed but didn't put it back on. I saw Gimli smirk. I shot a glare at him and he stopped. I turned my attention to Aragorn. I walked over and joined him. I noticed something reflecting the sun's light. I bent down and picked it up. I gasped in shock, it was the clasp that held their cloaks together. 

"Not idly do the leaves of Lothlórien fall." Aragorn said, noticing the clasp in my hand. 

"They may yet be alive!" Legolas said hopefully. 

I put the clasp in my bag, vowing that I would return it to them.

"Less than a day ahead of us. Hurry!" Aragorn said, starting to run.

I was next, Legolas following closely behind me and Gimli in his usual place, last. We all ran as hard and as fast as we could. We reached a steep hill and Legolas looked around the surroundings. I joined him, not really looking. just wanting to stand next to him. 

"What do your Elven eyes see?" Aragorn called to us.

"The Uruks turned North-East. They're taking the Hobbits to Isengard! They are running as if the very whips of their masters were behind them!" Legolas answered. 

We started to run after them. All night, we chased after the Orcs.

When morning came, we heard the sound of hooves hammering on the ground. We all ran behind a rock just as the riders came past us. When they had passed us, Aragorn came out from behind the rock with Legolas, Gimli and I following him out. 

"Riders of Rohan! What news from the Mark?" Aragorn asked them. 

The riders turned around and surrounded us. We stood back to back as they neared. I forgot to put my hood on. The leader I guessed, stared down at us, while spears were aimed at our heads. I had my hands near my daggers just in case things got out of hand.

"What business does a man, two Elves and a Dwarf have in the Riddermark?" he interrogated.

Gimli looked up at him, not intimidated at all. 

"Give me your name horse master, and I shall give you mine." Gimli said.

You fool, Gimli I thought.

The rider dismounted his horse and glared at Gimli. 

"I would cut off your head, Dwarf, if it stood but a little higher from the ground."

Before anyone could blink, Legolas had his bow out and I held my daggers at the rider.

"You would be dead before your stroke fell." Legolas threatened.

Aragorn pushed his bow and arrow down and my daggers down. I was glaring at the rider. Aragorn started with introductions.

"I'm Aragorn, son of Arathorn. This is Gimli, son of Glóin, Legolas from the Woodland Realm and this is Nessa, daughter of Lord Elrond. We are friends of Rohan and of your King, Théoden."

I turned my glare to Aragorn. He's not my father! I thought angrily. The rider took off his helmet and it was another man who I had my heart broken by. I pulled my hood up as soon as his helmet left his head. 

"Théoden no longer recognizes friend from foe. Not even his own kin. I am Éomer, son of Théodwyn." The spears were lifted and Éomer continued, "Saruman has poisoned the mind of the King and claimed lordship over his lands. My company are those loyal to Rohan, and for that we are banished. The White Wizard is cunning. They say he walks here and there as an old man, hooded and cloaked, and everywhere his spies slip past our nets." Éomer looked at us suspiciously.

"We are no spies. We track a pack of Uruk-Hai westward. They have taken two of our friends." Aragorn assured. 

Éomer looked around at his riders and let out a sigh. 

"They are destroyed. We slaughtered the Uruk-Hai in the night." Éomer confessed.

"But there were two Hobbits! Did you see two Hobbits with them?!" Gimli asked desperately.

"They would be small, only children to your eyes." Aragorn said.

Éomer shook his head sadly.

"We left none alive. We piled the carcasses and burnt them." Éomer said to us. 

He nodded his head towards the smoke raising from the ground. My eyes went wide at him. No, no, no! I thought. I took quick deep breaths. Legolas put a hand on my shoulder. Éomer gave us two horses. I whistled for Alban and he came running towards me. I mounted him and rode with the others to the smoke. Gimli was sharing a horse with Legolas while Aragorn rode one by himself. When we reached the smoke, there was a head on a stake and the rest of the bodies were in a pile, burnt, just as Éomer said. We all dismounted and Gimli noticed something in the fire. He pulled out a little belt.

"It's one of their wee belts." Gimli said sadly.

I felt tears come to my eyes. I heard someone come up behind me and lay a hand on my shoulder. I turned around and buried my head into their neck. The person was taken by surprise by the reaction, but they wrapped their hands around my waist. I smelt a forest and I buried my head into Legolas' neck even further. He pulled away and looked into my eyes. I heard Aragorn yell and turn to face him. He was on his knees, just next to the pile of bodies. He looked at something with interest and I noticed slight marks that were made in the grass. Aragorn was talking but I wasn't listening. I was starting to feel hope rise within me again and I smiled. I had been walking very close to Legolas until we stopped just at a tree-line.

"Fangorn?! What madness drove them there?" I muttered to no one in particular.

I started walking into the forest, the others following me reluctantly. We reached a spot about thirty metres from the tree-line where we saw unusually large footprints in the ground. Gimli walked over to a little shrub that had black spots on it. He lightly dabbed his finger on the black spots and tasted the liquid. He spat it out instantly. 

"Urgh! Orc blood!" He said, making a foul face.

Legolas and I suddenly turned our heads to the left slightly and whispered

"Someone's coming." 

We all got our weapons out.

"Saruman. Do not let him speak, he will put a spell on us." Aragorn warned us.

There was a sudden bright light and we tried to attack, however we dropped our weapons as they burnt our hands. The White Wizard started to speak.

(AN: I know it's not the exact dialogue but the author thought she would change it a bit so please bear with this. :) )