A New King

Nessa's POV:

When Edoras came into view, I was so relieved. I just wanted to sit down and think about the dreams I'd had and what had happened between Legolas and I. The first dream had been when Legolas had been tortured and killed by Aragorn, and the second one was when I had seen Legolas tell me he hated me and got married to some other She-Elf. Legolas had been glancing at me the whole ride and I had glanced at him every few minutes. His face was impossible to read. He wast acting normal and showed no indication of anything happening between us. The ride was quiet with no one talking that much.

When we reached the gates of Edoras, it was midday and I was a little hungry again. One of the flags of Rohan flew down in the breeze towards us and landed on the ground. I looked at it as we rode past it. The village was as I last remember it, people walking around buying things, children playing and merchants selling their goods. 

We continued up to the palace. We put our horses in the stables and walked up to the palace steps. There were guards outside the doors with armor and swords on them. As we reached the top of the steps, one of the guards came forward and stopped us. 

"I cannot let you enter the palace so armed, Gandalf Greyhame." He informed us.

We all looked at Gandalf who nodded to us to disarm ourselves. I rolled my eyes under my hood. I walked over to two guards and started to reluctantly give them my weapons. I started with my bow and arrows, then my sword and throwing knives. Before I took out my daggers, I remembered my first nightmare about Legolas. I took a deep breath and gave the daggers to the guards without looking at the daggers. I walked over to stand next to Legolas as the guard who stopped us said to Gandalf

"Your staff."

He nodded his head towards Gandalf's staff. Then I realized Gandalf had put a grey cloak over his white robes. Gandalf looked up at his staff and smiled innocently at the guard

"You wouldn't part an old man from his walking stick?" Gandalf asked the guard, still smiling.

The guard seemed to think about this and turned around and told the other guards to open the doors. Gandalf smiled at us.

As we entered the Golden Hall, there was a depressed feeling in the room. I looked up at the throne. I saw a horrible looking man that looked like a snake. The man had black hair and a pointed pale face. Next to him, sitting in the throne was a man that had grey hair, and old weary face and a beard. His eyes were clouded and he looked dreadfully sick.

Then I realized who it was. King Théoden! What happened to him? The man who looked like a snake was staring at me in a really creepy way. Legolas must have realized this because he took hold of my hand and squeezed it slightly. I did the same back to him. He let go of my hand but was still very close to me, which I was thankful for. 

Then I realized that there were guards following us from behind and on both sides, behind the columns. The man that looked like a snake leaned in to whisper something in Théoden's ear. I could only hear the words 'Gandalf the Grey'. Gandalf then walked in front of us and said in a loud, clear voice

"The courtesy of your Hall had somewhat lessened of late, Théoden King."

I felt Legolas lean in to whisper to me.

"That man next to the King is Grima, a servant of Saruman." He told me.

I nodded in understanding. The man, Grima, started to whisper to Théoden again. I could make out the words 'Not welcome', the rest I couldn't hear.

Then King Théoden spoke in a croaky, old voice

"Why should I welcome you, Gandalf Stormcrow?" Théoden asked Gandalf.