The bitter end

I woke up the next morning to someone stroking my cheek. I opened my eyes slowly so I could adjust to the light to see Legolas's face above mine. 

"Good morning my love." He greeted.

I smiled and sat up.

"Good morning to you as well." I said.

I kissed him on the cheek and got out of bed. I noticed that Legolas was wearing a silver tunic and I remembered Aragorn's coronation was today. 

"I have to get ready for today. Do you know if breakfast has been served yet?" I asked as I walked over to the wardrobe to choose a gown. 

"They're serving it right now. Do you want to ask for them to wait for you?"Legolas offered.

I shook my head and turned to face him. 

"No it's fine. I'll be there in a moment."  I answered.

Legolas nodded and then left the room, closing the door behind him. I turned back to my wardrobe and decided on a deep navy dress with silver sleeves and gold around the edges. I then got dressed and slipped into a pair of matching shoes. I picked up an Elvish tiara that had been placed on my dresser. I looked at the beautiful makings of it and decided that I wouldn't wear it yet. I walked out of the room and gently shut the door behind me. 

I walked to the dining hall where the remaining Fellowship was eating, apart from Aragorn who was getting ready for his coronation. Éomer, Faramir and Éowyn were also eating with us. Faramir was at the head of the table and Éowyn was on his right side. I caught Éowyn's eye and winked at her. She blushed madly and then looked down at her plate. I sat down beside Legolas and across from the Hobbits. They were talking gladly again and were in joyful spirits for the day. I chose some food from in front of me and just before I could start eating, a maid walked towards Faramir with a letter in her hands. 

"Please pardon my intrusion but a letter has arrived for Lady Nessa." The maid explained, bowing to the proud man in front of her. 

"You are not intruding and please rise. I am not of royal blood." Faramir said.

The maid rose and smiled slightly. She walked over to me and handed me the letter. I nodded in thanks and read the letter. It read: Dear sister, I an glad of the proposal. I had a feeling you and Prince Legolas would get along. I am also pleased to say that Father and I will be attending Aragorn's coronation. Father wished that you do not tell Aragorn and only those who you know you can trust. I will see you soon. Love, Arwen. I smiled as I finished reading the letter. I folded it back up and continued eating. I was glad to be eating once again, knowing that Sauron was defeated and the ring destroyed. 

When we had finished breakfast, the bells of Gondor rang out to announce that the coronation was to begin very soon. Legolas and I made our way back to my room where Legolas placed the tiara upon my head. 

"Lle vaa vanima." (You are beautiful) Legolas complimented. 

I smiled and kissed him gently. We pulled apart and then made our way to the gathering crowds that were to watch the crowning of the new King. 

"Arwen in coming, as is my father." I said to Legolas as we were walking. 

He smiled and held my hand. We met Gimli along the way and then found ourselves being directed into a specific spot as Aragorn requested. Soon enough, the bells rang out again and everyone was ready and quiet. 

Aragorn knelt before Gandalf and he placed the crown of Gondor upon Aragorn's head. 

"Now come the days of the King." Gandalf announced.