The Sontaran Strategem pt. 3

"Oh, now, that's clever. Look. Single molecule fabric, how thin is that?! You could pack a tent in a thimble." the Doctor explained to me. "Ooo! Gravity simulators. Terraforming, biospheres, nano-tech steel construction. This is brilliant. Do you know, with equipment like this you could, ooo, I don't know, move to another planet or something?" he continued to nerd out. I scoffed at his reactions. "If only that was possible." Rattigan mumbled. "If only that were possible. Conditional clause." the Doctor responded. "I think you'd better come with me." Rattigan looked at the three of us.

We made our way to a different area which had a swimming pool in front of us and a tunnel looking device in the corner. "You're smarter than the usual UNIT grunts, I'll give you that." Rattigan complimented. "He called you a grunt." the Doctor turns to Jenkins. "Don't call Ross a grunt. He's nice. We like Ross. Look at this place." the Doctor turned. "What exactly do you want?" Rattigan said in an arrogant tone. "We were just thinking. What a responsible eighteen year old. Inventing zero carbon cars?" the Doctor looked over to me "Saving the world." I added. "Takes a man with vision." Rattigan said.

  "Mmm, blinkered vision. Because ATMOS means more people driving. More cars, more petrol. End result, the oil's going to run out faster than ever. The ATMOS system could make things worse." the Doctor replied. "Yeah. Well, you see, that's a tautology. You can't say ATMOS system because it stands for Atmospheric Emissions System. So you're just saying Atmospheric Emissions System system. Do you see, Mister Conditional Clause?" Rattigan gave a cheeky grin. "It's been a long time since anyone said no to you, isn't it?" I asked. "I'm still right, though." he mumbled.

  "Not easy, is it, being clever. You look at the world and you connect things, random things, and think, why can't anyone else see it? The rest of the world is so slow." the Doctor sympathized. "Yeah." Rattigan said lowering his head. "And you're all on your own." I added. "I know." Rattigan kept his head lowered until he saw the Doctor move to the tunnel device. more like a teleport. Okay so a teleport. "But not with this. Because there's no way you invented this thing single handed. I mean, it might be Earth technology, but that's like finding a mobile phone in the Middle Ages. No, no, I'll tell you what it's like. It's like finding this in the middle of someone's front room. Albeit it's a very big front room." the Doctor exclaimed. "Why, what is it?" Jenkins questioned.

   "Yeah, just looks like a thing, doesn't it? People don't question things. They just say, oh, it's a thing." the Doctor looked over to me and helped me up into the transmat. "Leave it alone." Rattigan said in an angry tone. "Us, we make these connections." the Doctor began. "And this, to us, looks like a teleport pod." I finished, both of us pressed the button.

  "Orbit now holding at five five six point three, sector two seven zero." I heard a voice say. I was holding onto the Doctors arm for support when I heard him say, "Oh." I looked up to see the Sontarans. They all looked at us. "We have intruders." one said. "How did we get in, in tru da window? Bye, bye!" the Doctor quickly pressed the button again.

  We ran out of the teleport. "Ross, get out! Luke, you've got to come with me." the Doctor exclaimed. The Sontaran from the earlier appears before the Doctor could sonic the teleport. "Sontaran! That's your name, isn't it? You're a Sontaran. How did I know that, hey? Fascinating isn't it? Isn't that worth keeping me alive?" the Doctor began to bargain. "I order you to surrender in the name of the Unified Intelligence Taskforce." Jenkins held up his gun. "Well that's not going to work. Cordolaine signal, am I right? Copper excitation stopping the bullets." I pointed out. "How do you know so much?" the Sontaran turned to me. "You know, I wish I knew that too." I said. "Who are they?" the Sontaran asked. "They didn't give their names." Rattigan looked flustered.

  "But this isn't typical Sontaran behaviour, is it? Hiding? Using teenagers, stopping bullets? A Sontaran should face bullets with dignity. Shame on you." the Doctor pointed out. "You dishonour me, sir." the Sontaran turned to the Doctor. "Yeah? Then show yourself."