Flesh and Stone pt. 3

"Juno, there never was a Crispin or a Phillip on this mission, I promise you." Marco said. "No, I heard you. Before you sent Pedro, you sent Crispin and Phillip, and now you can't even remember them. Something happened. I don't know what, and you don't even remember." I explained. "Pedro?" Marco questioned. "Yeah, before you sent Pedro." I said. "Who's Pedro?"

"Something's happening. Pedro was here a second ago and now you can't even remember him." I said. "There never was a Pedro. There's only ever been the two of us here." Marco responded. "No, there were five of us. Why can't you remember?" I shouted. "Listen. Listen. I need to get a closer look at that light, whatever it is. Don't worry, I won't get too close." he said. I quickly pulled him back. "No. No, you can't. You mustn't." Marco handed me a walkie-talkie. "Here. Spare communicator. I'll stay in touch the whole time." he said. "You won't, because if you go back there what happened to the others will happen to you." I shook my head. "There weren't any others." Marco raised his voice. "There won't be any you if you go back there!" I yelled. "Two minutes. I promise." he began to walk off. "Please, just listen to me!" I cried out.

"Hello? Are you there? Hello? Hello?" I called into the communicator. "I'm here. I'm fine. Quite close to it now." Marco said. "Then come back. Come back now, please." I pleaded. "It's weird looking at it. It feels really-" he cut off. "Really what? Hello? Really what? Hello? Hello? Hello? Please say you're there. Hello? Hello?" I began to cry.

"Juno? Juno? Is that you?" the Doctor asked over the communicator. "Doctor?" I wiped the tears streaming down my cheek. "Where are you? Are the Clerics with you?" the Doctor questioned. "They've gone. There was a light and they walked into the light. Doctor, they didn't even remember each other." I explained. "No, they wouldn't." the Doctor mumbled. "Juno, I'm sorry, I made a mistake. I should never have left you there." My heart sunk. "Well, what do I do now then?"

"You come to us. The Primary Flight Deck, the other end of the forest." he said. "Well, there's a slight problem. I can't see. I can't open my eyes." I stood up. "Turn on the spot." the Doctor said. "Sorry, what?" I questioned. "Just do it. Turn on the spot." I heard the sound of the Doctor's sonic as I turned. "When the communicator sounds like my screwdriver, that means you're facing the right way. Follow the sound. You have to start moving now. There's time energy spilling out of that crack, and you have to stay ahead of it." he explained.

"But the Angels, they're everywhere." I said. "I'm sorry, I really am, but the Angels can only kill you." the Doctor replied. "What does the Time Energy do then?" I asked, beginning to walk towards the sound of the Doctor's sonic. "Just keep moving!" he yelled. "Tell me."

"If the Time Energy catches up with you, you'll never have been born. It will erase every moment of your existence. You will never have lived at all and I can't live with that. Now, keep your eyes shut and keep moving." he ordered. I sighed, making my way across the forest floor.

"Juno, listen to me. I'm sending a bit of software to your communicator. It's a proximity detector. It'll beep if there's something in your way. You just manoeuvre till the beeping stops. Because, Juno, this is important. The forest is full of Angels. You're going to have to walk like you can see." the Doctor explained. "Well, what do you mean?" I asked. "Look, just keep moving."

The communicator began to beep. "What's that?" I asked. "It's a warning. There are Angels round you now." the Doctor explained. "Shit..." I muttered. "Juno, listen to me. This is going to be hard but I know you can do it. The Angels are scared and running, and right now they're not that interested in you. They'll assume you can see them and their instincts will kick in. All you've got to do is walk like you can see." the Doctor encouraged. I didn't move. "Just don't open your eyes. Walk like you can see. You're not moving. You have to do this. Now. You have to do this!"

"Here goes nothing..." I said, beginning to thread my way through the group of angels around me. Unluckily, I tripped on something. I dropped the communicator. "Doctor? I can't find the communicator. I dropped it. I can't find it, Doctor. Doctor." I patted the floor, feeling for the communicator. "Doctor. Doctor!" I heard an angel turn its head. Then another. "Doctor." I got on my feet, and just as I began to walk, there was a flash of light.