The Lodger

The tardis materialized. I walked to the door and looked out. We were in a small park across the road from groups of terraced homes. "No, Amy, it's definitely not the fifth moon of Cindie Colesta. I think I can see a Ryman's." the Doctor said, walking out behind me. There was an explosion, throwing me and the Doctor to the ground. When we got up, the tardis was dematerializing. "Oh no, Amy!" I ran to the tardis. "Amy! Amy." the tardis was gone.

"What?" the Doctor stood up. "We're stuck." I said. "But how?" the Doctor ran to a nearby grocery store. There was an ad for a lodger.

<—————>

"Are we almost there?" the Doctor asked, he was carrying a paper take-out bag filled with money. "Yeah, it should be this one." I walked up to a door and knocked. A man opened the door. "I love you." he said. "Well, that's good, because we're your new lodgers. You know, this is going to be way easier than I expected." I grinned and took the fluffy pink keys from the man. "But I only put the advert up today. I didn't put my address." the man said flabbergasted. "Well, aren't you lucky we came along? More lucky than you know. Less young professionals, more ancient amateurs, but frankly we're an absolute dream." the Doctor smiled.

"Hang on a minute, mate. I don't know if I want you two staying. And give me back those keys. You can't have those." he snatched the keys out of my hand. "You've got a point. Well, have some rent." I nudged the Doctor. "Right." he handed the man the paper take-out bag. "That's probably quite a lot, isn't it? Looks like a lot. Is it a lot? I can never tell." the Doctor shrugged. We walked back into the hallway. "Don't spend it all on sweets, unless you like sweets. I like sweets. Oh." the Doctor gave him a couple of air kisses a few inches away from his cheeks.

"That's how we greet each other nowadays, isn't it? I'm the Doctor. Well, they call me the Doctor. I don't know why. I call me the Doctor, too. Still don't know why." he introduced himself, "Oh, and that's Juno. She's a, uh, good... mate of mine." he said. "Craig Owens." he shook my hand, and then, "The Doctor?" he questioned. "Yep. Who lives upstairs?" the Doctor asked. "Just some bloke." Craig shrugged. "What's he look like?" I asked. "Normal. He's very quiet." We walked into the flat while Craig muttered on.

  "Excuse me?" Craig walked in. "Ah. I suppose that's dry rot?" I pointed to the stain in the ceiling. "Or damp. Or mildew." Craig shrugged. "Or none of the above." I raised an eyebrow. "I'll get someone to fix it." Craig said. "No, I'll fix it. I'm good at fixing rot. Call me the Rotmeister." the Doctor smiled, then frowned, "No, I'm the Doctor, don't call me the Rotmeister."

"This is the most beautiful parlour I have ever seen. You're obviously a man of impeccable taste. We can stay, Craig, can't we? Say we can." I pleaded. "You haven't even seen the room." Craig said. "The room?" I questioned. "Well, there's only one room, so I hope you two don't mind sharing."

"Oh, yes. Our room. Take us to our room."

We walked into the room. It was filled with eighties decor. "Yeah, this is Mark's old room. He owns the place. Moved out about a month ago. This uncle he'd never even heard of died and left a load of money in the will." Craig shrugged. "How very convenient. This'll do just right. In fact." the Doctor smiled. Another crash came from upstairs. The Doctor licked his finger and tested the air , "No time to lose. We'll take it. Ah you'll want to see our credentials. There." the Doctor handed me the psychic paper. "National Insurance number." I showed it to him, "NHS number." and for the last time, "References."

"Is that a reference from the Archbishop of Canterbury?" Craig questioned. "I'm his special favourite." I smiled. "Are you hungry? I'm hungry." the Doctor turned to us. "I haven't got anything in."