Vincent and the Doctor pt. 3

"That's better, old girl. Time delay, but you always get it right in the end. Good. Let's find out who this is, then. Well, well, there you are." the Doctor said as I closed the tardis door. "Where's it from?" I asked. "Krafayis. Planet of origin uncertain. Nomadic pack animals. Strict dominance hierarchy. Huge territories, several solar systems wide. Preferred habitat: Planets with oxygen and nitrogen based atmospheres." the Doctor relayed the information from his mirror. "Oh, that poor thing. That brutal, murderous, abandoned thing. I hope we meet again soon so we can take it home." I frowned.

"Uh. Juno?" the Doctor called, "Maybe not that soon." I looked in his mirror and saw the beast in the reflection. "Shit!" I yelled. We ran away, but it was chasing us. I tried scattering benches and boxes, anything to slow it down. "Take that, and that." I shouted. Eventually, it left. "Whew." I sighed. The Doctor looked around the corner and screamed. "Never do that! You scared the living daylights out of me." he examined. Amy turned around the corner. "Sorry, I got bored. As much as you admire his command of colour and shape, it is hard to get fond of Vincent Van Gogh's snoring." she shrugged.

<—————>

"Wake, wakey, rise and shine! Breakfast is served in the courtyard. Whoa! What a morning. Come on. And Amy's got a little surprise for you." I woke Vincent up. "I thought I'd brighten things up to thank you for saving me last night." Amy said in the courtyard below. Loads of sunflowers in pots were around her. "Ah." he said. "I thought you might like, you know, possibly to perhaps paint them or something? Might be a thought." Amy shrugged.

"Yes, well, they're not my favourite flower." Vincent admitted. "You don't like sunflowers?" Amy frowned. "No, it's not that I don't like them. I find them complex. Always somewhere between living and dying. Half-human as they turn to the sun. A little disgusting. But, you know, they are a challenge." he said. "And one I'm pretty sure you'll rise to. But, moving on, there's something I need to show you." the Doctor brought Vincent inside.

He showed Vincent the print of the monster from the contraption. "That's him. And the eyes, without mercy." Vincent pointed. "This is a creature called the Krafayis. They travel in space. They travel as a pack, scavenging across the universe. And sometimes one of them gets left behind. And because they are a brutal race, the others never come back. So, dotted all around the universe are individual, utterly merciless, utterly abandoned Krafayis. And what they do is, well, kill, until they're killed. Which they usually aren't. Because other creatures can't see them." the Doctor explained.

"But I can."

"Yes. And that's why we are in a unique position today, my friend, to end this reign of terror. So, feeling like painting the church today?" I grinned. "
"What about the monster?" Vincent asked me. "Take my word for it. If you paint it, he will come." I said. "Okay. I'll get my things." Vincent nodded. "In your own time. And I promise you, we'll be out of your hair by this time tomorrow." I promised as Vincent went to the other side of the room. "This is risky." the Doctor fiddled his hands. "Riskier than normal?" Amy questioned. "Well, think about it. This is the middle of Vincent Van Gogh's greatest year of painting. If we're not careful, the net result of our pleasant little trip will be the brutal murder of the greatest artist who ever lived. Half the pictures on the wall of the Musée D'Orsay will disappear. And it will be our fault." Vincent went up to his room.

"I'm going to go check on him." I said. When I knocked and entered the room, I saw Vincent lying face down in his tiny bed crying. "Oh no, Vincent? Vincent! Vincent, can I help?" I rushed over to the bedside. "It's so clear you cannot help. And when you leave, and everyone always leaves, I will be left once more with an empty heart and no hope." he replied. "My experience is that there is, surprisingly, always hope." I said. "Then your experience is incomplete. I know how it will end. And it will not end well." he shook his head. "How about we go out? Come on, let's go outside." I urged. "Get out! You get out. What are you doing here? What are you doing here?" he yelled at me. "Right. I'm sorry. I'll leave you." I nodded and walked out the room.