Swimming in the Sky

(Art above is from the website Picrew.me. I used one of the templates created by Komoworm to create the photo. Also I just wanted to say, this story won't be following the story line between Paul, Mildred and Sarah. I love their storyline in the show, but for the purposes of this fan fiction, it's not the case of what happened. Thanks!)

Trigger warning: This chapter mentions an eating disorder. Please, skip over it if that makes you uncomfortable. It's not my intention to hurt anyone, I myself have struggled with it before and I know how hard it is. Personally, writing about it in the characters I create is the way I cope. I wished I could've been as strong as them. But now I know that I am, and you are to. Please stay safe. <3

*****

Father Paul sat alone in his dark little house, clutching his side.

His throat burned with bile and blood. His lungs ached from all the coughing, as he kneeled, hunched over the floor in his room.

The cough was worsening, he felt it deep in his stomach. He looked at the small pool of blood on the ground in front of him as he sat back and sighed. This should be the last of it for tonight.

His mind began to drift to Ella, and her wound. She hadn't figured it out yet...but he knew she was smart. He knew she would eventually.

Man did she have a beautiful brain. Clever, generous, sarcastic and funny. She was everything he could never have.

No matter how badly he wanted to.

*****

Ella sat up, the warm feeling of sunlight spread across her bed and her face. She'd never get tired of that feeling.

Pebbles was complaining about his food as usual, forcing Ella out of bed.

As she went to go about her usual morning routine, she looked over at the scratched living room and a theory began to form. One that scared her.

What if that creature...was the one that scared Pebbles? It had been the one that killed the other cats after all. Has it already been to town? There's no way no one wouldn't have noticed...

Ella shook off the suspicions. Her mind was sore from all the working theories. She didn't want to think anymore.

"Wish I could just turn my brain off, eh Pebbles?" She sighed. The kitten just went on gobbling down his food paying no attention to her.

She smiled to herself and shook her head. The tension was straining her. It had been the past couple days since the Potluck. Her head had healed, but there was still quite the gash in her arm. She'd spent her life in bed that past few days just thinking about everything. It all led to dead ends. She was so done with all the thinking and pondering.

She had some visitors, Erin and Sarah. Sarah mainly on Doctor business but it was nice seeing a friend. As well as Father Paul, every day actually. He mainly asked her about her life when she'd moved away. She tried to ask him about his as well, but he seemed to avoid the questions. It didn't matter though, she really enjoyed his visits. He even cooked them dinner once. Steak and potatoes. It was really nice.

But now she was tired of laying in bed. She wanted to do something. She didn't like having nothing to do. Tomorrow was another worship at the church, so that was something but today...today was another boring day. That wouldn't fly with her anymore.

Ella grabbed her coat and ran out the door. Her heart pumping with excitement. She was going to swim. No matter how cold, she was going to swim.

It was a terrible idea, she knew that. But her adrenaline fuled by the boredom of the last week was pushing her. So she walked, down towards the docks in the morning glow.