In the Eyes of a Miracle

(Art above is from Picrew.me I created the picture with a template made by RavomU3U,  their watermark is in the picture, all the credit goes to them)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

*knock, knock*

Ella woke to the sound of banging on a door. Confused, she sat up on a leather sofa, before remembering she had spent the night at The Sheriff's house.

*knock, knock*

Ella didn't see Hassan or Ali coming to the door, so she decided to open it.

She stood up from the couch, knocking Pebbles off of her.

She walked over to the door sleepily, dressed in a navy blue sheriff shirt which was much too large on her.

She opened the door, surprised to find Father Paul standing there.

He looked equally surprised to see her, answering the Sheriff's door at 8 in the morning, wearing one of his shirts and nothing else.

Her tried brain took her about 80 seconds to realize the situation.

"Good morning," she said with a sleepy smile.

"Ella? What...?" he asked eyeing her up and down.

"Uh...oh yeah sorry about this. Are you looking for the Sheriff?" She asked.

He swallowed nervously and nodded as she let him in.

"Did you spend the night here?" He asked, looking over at the blanket and kitten on the couch.

"Yeah...yeah. Uh it's not what it looks it, I just had a bit of a scare, embarrassingly enough. Kinda ran here, in the middle of the night," Ella explained.

"Scare? From what?" He asked nervously.

Ella shook her head. "D-doesn't matter. Probably just a nightmare."

"So you came here?"

"It's kinda just where my feet lead me. Plus the Sheriff-" she stopped herself from over explaining and looking like a lunatic. "Anyways, what did you come here for?"

He looked at her suspiciously for a moment before shaking his head, letting it go. "Yes, I am here to see Sheriff Hassan. Is he in?"

Ella nodded, "pretty sure. I just woke up."

Suddenly they heard the door open and shut behind them, both turning to see the Sheriff walk in with a coffee tray.

He paused at the sight of Father Paul, standing in his living room.

"Um Els I got you some coffee," Hassan said, handing her the warm cup. "I know how you like to start your mornings."

"Ah, thank you! So you were at the store?" She asked taking a sip of the hot drink.

"Yeah we had a long night. I feel asleep on the chair," he chuckled. "Figured we could use the caffeine. Anyways, Uh Father Paul is it?" He asked turning to the man, who looked angry about something.

Paul immediately perked up and put on his smile again. "Yes. I came to speak with you, but instead found Ella here."

"I should probably get going anyways. Thanks for everything Hassan, and I'll see you at the church later Father," she said dismissing herself, grabbing up Pebbles who had made himself comfortable on the chair Hassan had slept on, her clothes, and walked out the door into the crips morning air.

As she walked closer to home she began to feel more and more anxious again. She still couldn't decide if what she had seen the night before was real or not. The sheriff believed that it might have come into town, looking for food, and Ella began to worry that it was looking for Pebbles. Maybe knowing he was there because it had seen him before, when it scared the living shit out of the poor boy. She kept asking herself,