The Red Means I Love You

(Thank you @SaphiraRain for sending me this photo of Ella you made! I love it! Also the title is a reference to the song by Madds Buckley. Check it out! It really reminds me of Midnight Mass.)

*****

Ella looked out towards the rec centre, her heart begging her to go.

The wind whipped her hair around her face, as she stared longingly at the building. Riley and Father Paul were inside, perhaps waiting for her, or perhaps they'd forgotten.

She turned away, her eyes downcast, feeling the sink of regret in the pit of her stomach as she walked home. It was late now. They'd be finishing soon anyways. The only reason she wanted to go was to speak with Father Paul, and that wasn't much of an honourable reason to attend.

As she began to walk back home, when she heard a raspy voice call out her name behind her.

"Ella..."

Her heart beat began to be louder as it beat faster. She slowly looked over her shoulder and saw Father Paul leaning against the door to the rec centre. It wasn't so much leaning, than using the door to support himself. He looked pale and distressed, seemingly about to collapse again.

Ella quickly rushed over to the frail looking man.

"Father! Are you going to fall again?" She asked offering her hand out to him for support.

He looked down at it hesitantly before taking it and letting her lead him into the rec centre to sit. It was dark and empty inside, until Ella flipped on the light.

"Ella..." he said again, his tone shaking.

She sat across from him watching him nervously.

"Should I bring you home? Or call Sarah?" Ella asked.

He shook his head. "Don't worry about me. Worry about what I have to say."

Ella felt anxious, waiting for him to speak. She had no idea what was about to come out of his mouth, but she believed it to be his way of feeling her he needed space, or asking her to stay away, or just rejecting her all together.

However it wasn't any of that.

"I mean to apologize to you, Ella. I don't know how much longer I can keep this up, avoiding you. You don't deserve that, and you certainly don't deserve no explanation. So I-" he stopped, lurching over himself as if he was about to hurl.

"You don't look so well Father, I think I should bring you home. We can talk more tomorrow, or when you've gotten better," Ella told him, helping him to his feet.

As he followed her to the door, his arm extended past her, keeping the door closed, and keeping her from opening it.

She could feel his shaky breath on the back of her neck, as she slowly turned around, the blood rushing to her cheeks.

He was standing tall, behind her, looking down into her eyes, as she looked up at him through her lashes.

"You need rest Paul," Ella told him, raising her brow.

"I want to tell you everything. All the secrets, complete honesty. But I can't. I don't want you to run away," he said, tears forming on the corners of his wise, dark eyes.

Ella raised her hand, and whipped away the tear falling down his cheek.

"I'm not going to do that," she assured him in a gentle whisper.

The tears fell faster, as he looked back at her sorrowfully.

"You would if you knew..." he whispered.