Darkness Hides Me

"Step forth, my child, and offer your self to God. Let He who is good cleanse you of your sins."

I stood in the dimly lit confession booth, waiting for the next person to confess their sins.

But instead the sounds of song filled my ears. A sorrowful, yet upbeat tune rung out in the empty church, echoing all around me.

That when her voice sang. Crisp and soft, like a sirens song it enchanted me, putting me under its spell. But the enthralling music would only lead to heartache and regret in the end.

"Why won't my hands...stop shaking?
When all the earth is still.
When ancient ghosts are waking.
So many steps need taking.
So many plans need making.
I think I will...
I think I will!"

I peer through the little grate in between me and my Siren. Her face is obscured by the dim orange light, but her song ever fulfills my desire to see her. I look harder. Trying my best to make out all this enchantress's features, from her soft glowing green eyes, to the freckles that dot her face like stars. Reveal yourself. I'm begging you.

"Morning glow, morning glow.
Starts to shimmer when you know,
Winds of change are set to blow.
And sweep this whole land through.
Morning glow is long...past due!"

I'm fully convinced it's my Siren. My Siren. My innocent Angel of whom I have scared away. Whom I have disappointed and hurt. The beauty of her innocence shines through her green eyes, and into the waves of her song as I am forever lost to it.

"Oh morning glow! I'd like to help you grow!
We should have started...
Long ago!

Morning glow, all day long.
As we sing, tomorrow's song.
Never knew we could do strong!
But now it's very clear."

Her heart stealing voice pauses, as I see her faint green eyes look up into mine. The last line of her song shakes my core and sends shivers through my spine.

"Morning glow is almost...

...Here."

The soft piano music grows louder and stronger, so loud it's leaving my ears to ring. I can't resist. I won't resist anymore. My real Angel, the one I should never have strayed from, is on the other side of this booth. And I will do whatever it takes to be with her again.

My eyes dizzy as I run out of my door, the song seems to come from all directions, waves crashing down on me, slowing me from opening her door.

"Morning glow, by your light!
We can make the new day bright!
And the phantoms of the night!
Will fade into the past!"

The echoing music stops. I make my move, rushing to open her door, but she has vanished. Or maybe she was never there in the first place.

All that remains of her, is her song.

"Morning glow is here, at last."

Ella.

I jolt awake, my back feeling sore from leaning against the frame of my little rectory for so long.

The window outside fills my room with the poisonous sun light, I am protected here, in this little corner. Or am I trapped?

Have I been wrong? My dream seems to be telling me something. Do I chose God's angel over my own? Or was that never an angel to begin with...

My eyes shift to the dead man on the floor, suddenly the apparentness of the sticky blood on my face and hands becomes overwhelming clear.

Guilt and shame rises in my chest. I begin to wonder how this could be any part of Gods plan. Why must He make me feel this way? Lost without Ella, lost without purpose. Was it all to scare Ella away? Perhaps to protect her. I only found out the true nature of my strength last night...I never meant to harm Joe. Not after he had been trying so hard to bettering himself. That wouldn't be very priest-like of me. I can't help but wonder...if it had been Ella who walked through that door first...what would I have done to her?  I can barley live with the guilt of killing Joe...if it had been Ella...well I don't know what I would do.

I don't know...I don't know...

I would like to believe I would never hurt her. But last night...honestly I didn't know who it was. I didn't know it was Joe, my hunger driven mind only saw food. If I found out this morning it was Ella I had killed...well I might just jump into the sun, in hopes of being with her again.

I would rather die than know I hurt my Ella. Her innocence rings out to my soul, and I can't help but hear her, see her everywhere.

I let out a small exhale, as if it was a laugh. My sweet, feisty Ella. Only a girl like hers first reaction to a scene like this would be to barf. She didn't scream or cry, she was fairly calm as she examined the damage. And then...only then did it click that she was in danger. She was the last of her kind, that girl.

I wonder what she's doing. Running to the Belle, trying to flee the island. Sitting at home and pretending nothings wrong. Or telling the Sheriff everything.

And the Sheriff would believe her and listen to her and care about her. How my blood burned and how my gut gnawed at me when I thought of those two together. He was exactly the kind of man that she deserved, and I hated myself for it.

As the sun rose higher, it's light crept closer to me, ready to turn me to ash. Maybe I should just sit and accept my fate. I don't know...

Just on cue, Beverly came through my door and saw the sight as well. What is she going to do?

*****

Bev was right. She has been absolutely right, I realize, as I look in my mirror.

I was ignoring my faith, and I should have trusted the Angel of God. For he is the only angel I need. Ella is nothing but a distraction, an
obstacle put in the way by He himself, trying to test my loyalty. And I have offered Joe up to him for a reason. He has gone home, and I have been the one to save him. Beverly is a saint, and I am lucky she is here for me.

Now it's time to go. The dusk has laid down for the twilight to rise, and it is safe to go.

My faith has been tested by Ella, but I realize now I don't have feelings for her, she was merely an obstacle, as Bev had said.

She meant nothing to me.

But how come I don't believe it?