Morning Glow

"Good morning to ya," Ella gave Bev a sarcastic wave, leaning against the small radiator in the beach of the church.

The screaming had been non stop for the last five minutes, but now it was replaced with a deadly silence. It was so deafening it began to physically hurt Ella's ears. Somehow she preferred the screams of torment to the harsh silence.

She had been acting on nothing but adrenal for the past hour. Half an hour? She couldn't tell, everything was blurring around her. Adrenaline was the only reason she was still standing.

"Ella. Surprised you didn't run," Beverly snapped. She stood up and gulped. She was nervous.

This fact made Ella feel better. It would be easier to break her down now.

"I don't need to," Ella held up her necklace and held it out towards Bev, who immediately jumped back at the burn.

Bev didn't reply she just stared up at Ella, a look of worry plastered on her face.

"I'm not here to burn you. I'm here to talk. You know as well as I, this could be the last time we ever speak," Ella replied, stepping back.

"You continue to refuse this gift? This miracle of God? After you've seen all it's done for these people? After everything John risked for you?"Bev asked. Ella knew exactly what she was doing. Ella had to keep her wits about her, and not let Bev tangle the web. She wasn't going to retaliate. Keeping her anger in check around Bev was her weakness, and Bev knew that to. Anything she was about to say, was all to try and push Ella's buttons.

"Are you scared?" Bev continued.

Ella shook her head. "The opposite actually, Bev. You know, in all the years I've known you, all the things I've seen you do to people and the community, it not once occurred to me that you were the one who was scared," she replied, slowly circling Bev.

Bev raised her head up higher, like what people do when they're fighting bears. Trying to make themselves look bigger. "I have nothing to fear. Not then, and certainly not not anymore. You'll never understand, how God controls me. He works through me Ella! And you constantly try to stop Him. How do you think that goes over with him?"

Enough with the polities. "God is nothing but an excuse for you Bev. You've never truly been apart of the religion, don't you see? You're scared! Scarred because you know you aren't faithful. No matter how much you do for the community, or how involved with the church you are, that doesn't make everything you do, and everyone you hurt, forgiven. I've never once seen you ask for forgiveness from God or anybody. And deep down, you know, and I know you know, that if you were to die, you wouldn't see the pearly gates," Ella retorted, not raising her voice but rather using her voice's calm tone to make a point. Something she'd learnt from Riley.

Beverly was silent. For once she was rendered silent. "I leaned at a young age the power words can posses. I learned how to manipulate sentences to fit my desires, and I'd do anything to get what I want. To get into Heaven. Because I know I am doing what's right. I know I am truly faithful."

Ella shook her head again. "No matter how many times you try to tell yourself that Bev, you can't escape God's justice. And even if you don't see it, I know that's exactly what you're afraid of. And deep down you know it to. We could've used this as an opportunity to mend each other Bev. You still have a chance, you literally got your second chance. You can go around to all you have hurt and apologize, help them out in this difficult time for them, but you won't. You're just as cowardly as ever Beverly Keane."

She stared deeply into Ella's eyes, as if she was trying to read her soul. Trying to find the last shred of truth she could grasp onto, change the scenario to fit her, to help her, but she couldn't. Ella wasn't going to let her.