Back on Track

The sun. That was all Ella could see. Spending so long in that dark little room, made the sunlight a warm welcome. The sky was red, in the morning light. It had just become morning, the sun barley peeking out.

She closed her eyes, feeling the warm presence of the sunlight on her face, just as she used to love doing every morning. It immediately calmed her down, she felt like herself again, maybe even better. Bev unfortunately had been right. Keeping her in that basement was the best way for her to shatter her own broken soul, and fix it up again, bigger and stronger this time.

Ella shook her head free from the miserableness. The good thing was that since it was so early, no one was around. She was able to limp her way to Sarah's without anyone seeing her. At least she hoped not.

Ella opened the door, not having the strength to try and knock. Her leg was very agonized, and made sure to agonize her in return. It hurt awfully, as she swung open the door, and immediately collapsed, unable to keep herself upright any more.

"Woah! SARAH!" A strange voice called, before everything went black.

*****

Tonight. I was sitting in my rectory on my bed, staring out the window and the little wooden church I knew so well. I knew every inch of that church. I knew the way it breathed with the wind, the way it smelled on a cold winters morning, the feel of the birch bark walls, the entire church had a soul. Ive watched it grow up. It's aged just as I have, and tonight, tonight it'll see many things, and they may be the last it ever sees.

*****

Ella woke on the small hospital bed. Grateful to find she was in Sarah's room, not a hospital on the mainland. There was a tight sensation all around her leg, and she realized it had been bandaged.

"You're one lucky person, Ella," Sarah told her, giving her a warm smile.

Ella sat up quickly, her head pounded as she did but she ignored it. "What happened with my leg?"

"My mother found you, on our floor. When I looked at you I found you'd splintered your ankle, I mean your lucky your leg didn't break. But I've got to ask...how did this happen?"

"Wait...you're mother?" Ella replied, shaking her head in confusion.

Sarah gave her the same surprised look and nodded. "Yeah!"

"Hello again Dear."

Ella looked up at the doorframe to find Sarah's mom, Mildred Gunning, standing proudly against the door. Mildred had been suffering from dementia for the last few years, barley able to get out of bed. Ella had helped Sarah with her a few times, and now, here she was, standing in the door way. Her face looked as if she was in her mid fourties. The only way you could ever tell she had been 87, was her grey hair. However even that seemed to have grown back into her long, reddish brown she used to have.

It didn't take long for Ella to connect the dots, the blood from the Angel Pruitt had been giving out had been healing her as well. She was de-aging just as he had.

"Wow. Look at you Ella! You've grown so much!" She exclaimed, wrapping Ella in a big hug. Mildred had been there for Ella when she was a kid just as much as Annie had been.

After everything that had happened, it felt incredible to be held up for once.

Ella's eyes stung as the hot tears began trailing down her cheeks again.

"Oh dear, what happened?" Mildred asked kindly, sitting next to her and rubbing her back gently.

Sarah also watched intently, waiting to hear Ella's story. However Ella didn't know where to start.