Blood Moon Rising

"What do we do now?" Ella asked as the group walked down the road. The morning air was cool and crisp, as more people began leaving their homes and giving polite smiles and waves to the trio.

Sarah sighed. "I-I'm not sure. Hassan didn't believe us, and now I feel like an asshole."

Ella pondered for a second. "He's too close to this. We need to speak to someone on the mainland, make it seem like an anonymous tip that we think something bad is going to happen tonight. Hopefully, they'll come in time to stop it."

Sarah nodded. "Alright...do we call?"

"No," Mildred stated.

The two looked at her. Her face was harsh and solid.

"No, we should take Erin, and we should go in person," Mildred told them.

Ella shook her head. "We can't, we'd miss the vigil."

"That's exactly what I'm hopping for. My only concern is keeping the three of you safe right now. I want us off the island, we can tell the mainland police office, and stay at a hotel for a while. I don't care. I just want all of us to be away from the island," she rebated.

"We can't Mil. We'd be abandoning them..." Ella replied.

"We're not abandoning anyone, Els. You've got a good heart, too good sometimes, but we can't stay. Riley had told Erin to run for a reason. It's not safe here," Mildred said back.

"My mothers right, Els. It's not safe for any of us to stay here right now. Maybe things will calm down, or...something I don't know. But we need to leave," Sarah agreed.

Ella felt conflicted. She felt guilty, running away, but she didn't want any of her friends getting hurt. But what if Hassan? He'd still be here, and he's not about to go for a trip with them at the moment. And John...what would happen to him? Ella didn't want to leave without saying goodbye...she would really miss him.

However she nodded in agreement.

"Alright. If we want to catch the ferry, we'll need to leave at noon. Ella you head on home and pack, we'll meet up at your house around 11:30," Mildred told her.

Ella silently nodded and slipped away from the group.

She approached her little cottage, wondering if it would be the last time she ever saw it. Suddenly a terrible revelation came over her.

She raced up her steps in in through her door, frantically searching for the little grey kitten.

She heard him screaming, a harsh, raspy scream, and ran over to find him chained up to her table.

"Oh my baby boy!" She cried, fumbling with the chain. Beverly was a heartless monster.

His meow was raspy, since he hasn't drunken any water or eaten anything in 48 hours. He'd been screaming for help for so long, never knowing if anyone was ever going to come back. It broke Ella's heart to see him in such a state.

She quickly unchained him and held the trembling little fluff black in her arms. It seemed like he was crying, he had been terrified.

Ella cried into his soft fur, holding him and making sure he was loved. She felt so awful. She's been trapped in Bev's basement, if only she could've broken out of her depression episode sooner. She'd been wallowing in so much self pity she couldn't bring herself to do anything. She'd felt useless.