Night of the Western Sun

(Art above is from Picrew.me. I used a template created by Sosolenoo.)

*****

Ella looked at her outfit in the mirror. She was wearing white shorts, a plaid shirt tied around her waist, a cowboy hat and boots. She tightened the bandage around her arm. It was completely visible when she was wearing this shirt, and she had tried to keep it hidden, but she didn't have anything else to wear to the hoe-down.

It was golden hour on the Island, the day had been filled with mystery and miracles. Father Paul had been swarmed by people on the island, and Ella never got the chance to talk with Riley.

And Leeza? Well she was walking. She was going to be able to dance at the hoe-down tonight. It was truly fascinating. A miracle though? Ella didn't know. Leeza could definitely have recovered over time, and was finally able to stand, and walk, the chances were slim but they were still there. But what of Father Paul? How did he know?

Ella wasn't sure but she decided to put it off for the night. He wasn't important right now, it was Riley she needed to speak to.

*knock, knock*

Ella went to answer the door and found the Sheriff there, dressed in a western sheriff attire, with the star badge and everything.

Ella smiled, amused he had gone so far into the part.

He tipped his hat down, "M"lady," he said in a western voice.

Ella laughed. "Don't you look dapper?"

"I thought I'd take you to the hoe-down. I might not know how to two step, but I'd be willing to try," he replied with a wink.

"Well, well. Little old me going to the dance with the big tough sheriff?" Ella teased.

"Or we could just not-" he said turning away with a playful grin.

"No no! We can go! I'll be good I promise!" Ella pleaded.

Hassan shook his head and smiled. "Alrighty then pardner," he said in a very shitty accent.

"You need to work on that," Ella told him with a giggle.

They arrived at the town square filled with people dressed up in classic cowboy attire. Country music rang loud in their ears and the smell of hot dogs and barbecue filled their noses. People were laughing and dancing on the big wooden board that had been set up in the centre.

"The entire town has shown up," Hassan noted looking around.

"First rodeo?" Ella asked looking up at him.

He smiled and looked away. "First rodeo on Crocket Island."

"Bah. This islands full of fishermen red necks. They're just truly embracing themselves here," Ella commented, earning a deep laugh from the Sheriff. It caused Ella's stomach to turn, sending butterflies through her body.

Erin came running up to them, dressed in a flowy skirt, a tank top tucked underneath, cowboy boots and a bandanna around her neck. "Hey you two. Wow Sheriff you really went all out."

"Have you seen Riley?" Ella asked.

She shook her head. "He might not come."

Ella felt her heart sink. She was tired of being in this fight and she thought maybe they could make up here, at his favourite event. But it looked like that wasn't going to happen.

"Should we go get something to eat?" Ella asked trying to divert the conversation.

"Yeah you go on ahead, I'm just going to see if Ali made it," Hassan said before walking off into the crowd.