Will the Circle be Unbroken

(Art above was sent to me by a reader who made their own version of Ella on the website Picrew.me. They used a template created by RileyDixonDesign. Thanks so much!"

*****

The church was just as packed as always, this particular Sunday morning.

Ella and Erin sat in their usual spot, talking quietly.

"Rumour has it...somethings going on between the Sheriff and you," Erin told her with a cheeky smirk.

"Uh huh. What kind of rumour is this?" Ella asked, unimpressed. Raising her brow at Erin.

"I don't know who started it, but apparently someone said you two were making out on a bench last night," Erin laughed.

"What?! No there was no one around, and we weren't even sitting anywhere near each other!" Ella denied, outraged. This damn town was so desperate for some action that they're willing to make up their own.

"I'm sure it's fine," Erin started before Ella cut her off.

"Wait who did you hear this from?" Ella asked.

"Dolly. I just overheard her talking about it," Erin shrugged.

"It was like midnight when we talked on that bench. There was literally no one around except..." Ella though back on the night.

The only person they saw was Father Paul...and that figure behind his house. Could it have been Dolly? No way, it looked like it flew, but it was also pitch black, it was hard to tell. Perhaps it was someone else.

"Don't worry about it, news spreads just as quickly as fire around here. But it'll eventually die down, and is it so bad? At least you can have the Sheriff all to yourself," Erin nudged her.

Ella scoffed. "We're not involved like that, and neither of us want to be."

"Maybe that's true for you...but does he think that? I'll be honest he seems interested in you," Erin implied.

"Hey you can't talk about interest. I can see how you're so obviously still into Riley," Ella said, trying to divert the conversation.

Erin took the bait. "No...no it's not like that with us."

"Are you sure?"

Erin looked off in thought. "I don't know. He stayed over last night..."

"Wait what? Really?" Ella asked her smile growing.

"Don't look at me like that," Erin blushed looking away.

"Erin when we're you going to tell me?"

"Were not together...but I won't lie, there's definitely been some...well something happening between us," Erin grinned uncontrollably. "He's been so sweet to me, and it's made me feel so safe."

Ella smiled, but she could feel a sense of sadness well up inside her. She was happy for Erin, but she couldn't help but feel jealous. Father Paul had made her feel safe, and now he was avoiding her like the plague. She wasn't going to lie, she had been feeling lonely ever since she moved back to Crocket. Then he came along, and saved her. Now he couldn't stand to look at her, like she'd done something wrong.

"Good morning everyone, today we will commence with Will the Circle be Unbroken in your red hymnal," Bev announced.

Everyone pulled out the books from the front of the seats and began to sing.

Warren rang the bell, as they walked down the aisle.

"I was standing by my window
On one cold and cloudy day
When I saw that hearse come rolling
For to carry my mother away,"