Addiction

(Art is from the website Picrew.me I used a template created by someone I don't know unfortunately. But all the credit goes to them.)

Trigger warning: mention of an eating disorder and alcohol addiction.

*****

Ella pushed open the doors into Bev's money pit. Also know as the Rec Center.

It was completely useless to Ella and, she figured, everyone else on the island but Bev, who used the money she embezzled to put "back into the community". Really it was just a way to clean her record.

Not one person in town had even used it and that was apparent as she walked in for the first time. There were a few metal chairs, folded up and placed along the side walls, and a stage directly across from the doors, but that was it. The floors were squeaky clean, haven't being touched, and the lights were dim. There were a few windows, but they were small and it was dark out by now, so she couldn't see anything out nor could anyone see in.

That's probably why Father Paul was using the place. No one was going to come here.

There was an uncomfortable feeling in the room as Ella walked in.

Riley and Father Paul sat on two metal chairs facing each other. Paul was very relaxed, he slumped in this chair, his long legs separated, holding a drink of water in his hands. Riley looked more nervous, he sat with his hands in his pocket and gave Ella a confused look as she walked past him and sat on the empty chair between them.

"Ella I'm glad you could join us. Would you like any water or anything?" Father Paul asked.

Ella shook her head, the silence in the room ringing in her ears.

"You..." Riley asked turning to her, "You struggle with alcohol?"

"Addiction," Ella corrected him with a small smile.

She watched the realization spark in his eyes. He has been there on stage with her, that night she collapsed. She winced internally turning away from him, unable to look at him in more.

"Els..." he said quietly.

"That's actually what I wanted to talk about, a bit of an introductory if you will," Father Paul spoke up, Ella was grateful that he had. "I want this meeting to be more of a safe space, for any kind of addiction. So...how would you like to start?"

"Uh...back at my meetings on the mainland we just introduced ourselves...to begin," Riley replied.

"Alright, take it away," Paul said gesturing to Riley.

He sat up straighter, and swallowed nervously. "Hey, Im Riley Flynn and I struggled with and alcohol addiction. Im currently four years sober."

There was a pause for a moment before Ella introduced herself. "I'm...Ella Marin, and I've struggled with...anorexia." She muttered as best as she could.

Riley was always better at these things then she was. He could speak his mind so elleiquently, that the people around him would be left speechless. Ella was never like that. The best way she could convey how she felt with through singing. Otherwise she was a wreck.

"Ella," Father Paul spoke up to her gently, "would you be okay, telling us about the time you realized what you were going through was something...more?"

Ella looked back at him. His smile was so welcoming and just always seemed to make her feel better.

"Riley, you were there... remember in high school? We were in The Greatest Showman? It was supposed to be miscast...so I played um...the lead, PT Barnum. Riley was uh..." she paused trying to look back through her memories. This was one she had selectively chosen to forget.