III

—/<3/—

what the golden dawn squad didn't expect, was there to be diamond kingdom mages just waiting for the chance to attack them. of course, they were aware that since the dungeon was on the border, it was free reign and either kingdom could raid it but it was quite the coincidence that they were both there on the same day.

they also knew that there wouldn't be any peaceful encounters and that any clashes in their pathways would be violent.

but a sneak attack? come on, that's just playing dirty.

"mimosa look out!" elle called, only just managing to cast her defence spell in time. mimosa was encased in a glowing ball of time just before she would've been hit by the row of crystals that were swiftly protruding from the ground in her direction.

"are you alright?" elle asked, releasing her friend from the ball, and pulling her away from the crystals.

"yes, thank you for protecting me," mimosa says gratefully. she was confused. she was an expert at sensing mana so why did she not feel the attack coming her way?

their opponent must have been an expert at concealing their mana.

"who are you?!" Klaus yelled at the approaching figure, yuno stood on guard behind him.

"move" is all the man said. he continued to advance on the crystal path he made for himself.

'he has hedgehog hair' elle thought to herself, nearly letting a laugh slip.

"you scoundrel! you dare try to attack someone from behind? is that something a warrior should do?" Klaus shouted.

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"eh, is he playing dumb or something?" elle says to no one in particular, readying her grimoire for battle.

"you're all the same. just pebbles by the wayside." the diamond mage sent more crystals towards mimosa.

"this isn't the time for metaphors, mister!" elle shouted back.

Why he was targeting her specifically? who knows. Luckily, Klaus threw up a wall with his steel magic, causing the crystals to shatter on impact.

"back me up, yuno, elle!"

"yes sir!" they shouted back.

"you diamond scum! I'll show you the true powers of the golden dawn!"

spells were flying everywhere. masses of crystals flying from the opposing side, steel drills, sharp gusts of wind and time reversals flying from the other whilst mimosa was on standby, ready to heal someone if needed.

'he's not using his grimoire..." elle thought, dodging an attack that flew her way and catching another in a ball before it hit mimosa.

"you three head to the treasure chamber whilst I fight him!" Klaus yelled over the noise.

It was a stupid idea. he wasn't even using a grimoire and he could defend against 3 members of the golden dawn. klaus was lying to himself if he thought he could take this guy on his own. It seemed yuno had thought the same thing.

"he's strong. if you fight him without our support, even you wont—"

"just go!" he screamed. he seemed angry, or stressed, probably both. "quite frankly, I would rather not leave this to a peasant and a couple of newbies, but this is for our kingdom, so go!"

"watch your tone, klaus." elle grunted as she dodged once more. If they carried on just defending against this guy's advances they would just drain their mana, they needed to send an attack.