XXI

—/<3/—

a week after the attack and elle was back to being stuck in her bedroom, both completing paperwork to do with the destruction and studying new ways to use her magic, specifically looking for a way to fix her father's childlike form.

it was odd being older than your father to say the least.

her uncle's body had been discovered amongst some of the rubble left behind from the attack, along with a magic knight from the praying mantis' who was shaken up and sobbing due to his inability to protect the king. elle had to promise not to put him in prison to make him stop, though she wouldn't have done that anyway.

she would be having her coronation at the end of the week so amongst her paperwork were countless dress fittings and meetings as well as people coming to confirm things with her for the preparations. it hadn't quite clicked within her that she would be crowned queen in a few days time, but she barely had time to think at this point so it didn't surprise her.

yuno came to visit her a few times, though he became awkward with showing his affection. elle knew it was because she was now going to be queen and she also knew he would get over it soon enough, but it kind of bothered her that they were basically back to square one with nothing but awkward small talk and minor hand holding.

elle sighed in frustration as yet another fist rapped against her closed door, murmuring a quiet 'come in' before setting down her pen.

"your royal highness, you are being summoned to appear in front of the magic parliament. something about the demon wielding mage from the black bulls being called for execution."

"what?" elle yelled, standing up and slamming her hands on her desk, scattering paper from the tops of sky scraping towers of work to the floor, not that she cared right now.

"you've got to be kidding. and they called this parliament without discussing it with me or my father first?"

"yes ma'am, your cousin damnatio has justified his own actions by claiming that since you're not yet the queen and you're still a minor, he shall be in full control of what happens in his council room." the assistant, lance, told her, his stance and eye contact not faltering as he watched the soon-to-be queen erupt into anger.

"please call my father, nozel silva and fuegoleon vermillion to the council room." elle rubbed at her temples, grabbing the royal emerald green cloak and the golden tiara she was required to wear until her coronation and rushing out of the room. she had to get to the court room before her cousin did anything stupid.

she would not allow him to break rules freely in her kingdom. she may not yet be queen but she was the still the highest authority figure in the clover kingdom seeing as damnatio was only a distant relative, maybe second or third cousin. elle promised herself that she would secure her monarchy with an heir no matter what just so he could never become king.

—/<3/—

"damnatio kira, what on earth do you think you're doing?" elle yelled as she stomped in the room, the heavy council-room doors banging loudly against the wall behind them as many cringed at the volume.

the room was filled with nobles from many influential families who looked down on anyone below them in terms of wealth and status. of course, since elle was interested in redistribution of wealth, they did not like her and they would join up with anyone who had a chance of overthrowing her. in this case it was damnatio.

that was the reason she needed fuegoleon and nozel present because the nobles may be able to deny the power of elle alone until she was crowned, but they couldn't deny the power of the heads of three royal families.

they would get asta and anyone else involved out of there.

elle directed her attention to the stand where asta and secre stood. they were handcuffed and looked calm despite the nobles constantly talking bad about them. damnatio stood at the top of the staircase with his magic scales summoned.

"why are you treating them like criminals? what is the meaning of this?" elle demanded, putting her foot down. she stood with a regal confidence, chin held high, clear voice and an unwavering glare. she wouldn't allow him to challenge her authority just because she was a minor, he had made this a personal issue by bringing in her age and rejecting her sovereignty.

she glanced to a second podium out of the corner of her eye where a familiar child was being held by one of the men under damnatio's influence. "if you value justice as much as you let on then why are you threatening them with a child? one that's not even old enough to legally make decisions for herself let alone serve jail time for actions caused by something completely unknown to her. you really are pathetic."

"shut up and be gone. you have no power in my council room. these two individuals have been conspiring with the devil and using forbidden magic. the kingdom must be rid of them" damnatio's calm demeanour was gone as soon as elle opened her mouth, no words could explain how much he despised her.

why did she get to be sovereign when he was of age and male? why was she the one everyone thought of when they think of the house of kira? and why did everyone think she was better than him?

he hated her and he did not want her in his space.

elle understood this and let him have freedom just like her father had told her to but this was too far. he was trying to charge two innocents with the death penalty and using illegal methods to do so and elle would not sit back and watch just to spare his feelings.