XXIV

—/<3/—

after changing into a lighter dress, elle made her way into a separate hall than the one she got coronated in  to attend her after party

after changing into a lighter dress, elle made her way into a separate hall than the one she got coronated in  to attend her after party. though it was less of a party and more of a gathering of old rich people who enjoyed gossiping and flaunting their money. luckily for elle, she managed to get captains and vice captains invited, meaning yuno would be there.

she met with her brothers first, since they were waiting outside the banquet hall for her so they could enter together. They glanced at each other when elle stopped in front of them, jokingly getting on one knee and saying "my queen" in unison with exaggerated posh voices, wide smiles decorating their faces.

"stop that, its embarrassing!" elle whined, attempting to pull yami up from the ground by his arm. "you guys better not start treating me differently,"

"we would never," william chuckled, standing up straight and offering her his arm, yami following soon after. "you're not leaving the golden dawn are you?"

"of course not." elle took his arm.

"i for one think you should join the black bulls" yami joked, pushing open the huge door that led to the hall.

"yami, i love you but never in a million years would i be able to deal with their rowdiness."

—/<3/—

elle had been trying to make her way to yuno the whole evening but unfortunately, she was either snatched away by members of the kira family that she'd probably met once when she was four and had to pretend she actually remembered them, or yuno was being carted away and shown of by william as his new vice captain.

all was well until damnatio's grandfather, who was surprisingly still living, stood up to make an announcement, microphone and all. he tapped a fork against his almost empty wine glass, the shrill ting echoing through the room and causing many to flinch due to its proximity to the mic.

"i just wanted to say my congratulations..." the old man's shaky voice echoed. "here's to a long and prosperous reign!" the audience cheered. "though i did want to say... when would her majesty be getting married? is there not a marriage lined up? surely her majesty should have a husband to rule for her since she is a child and a woman? personally, after observing the possible suitors for the whole night, i do believe sir nozel would be a good match, they would make beautiful, powerful children." the old man chuckled but the room was silent.

elle saw red. the stormed up to the stage, forgetting all of her lessons and talks on how elegance is necessary in all situation no matter what, she took the microphone from him and mustered up the fakest smile should could give before addressing him.

"thank you sir for your... unsolicited advice, but you might find that no one else in the room agrees with you. as you said i'm under the age of 18 but i am fully capable of ruling this kingdom since i took over the late augustus' work when i was 15. a woman does not need a husband to rule and as much as i see nozel as a good friend, he is nearly 30. are you insinuating that nozel is the type to marry a child?"

the old man flushed with anger and embarrassment. he swiftly downed the remnants of his red wine and lowered his head into a half-assed bow before making an exit, most likely leaving to his estate somewhere in the countryside of the clover kingdom.

elle huffed out a sigh before walking to the balcony with her head held high to get some fresh air, she caught nozel's eye on the way out and he gave her a slight nod as if to say 'thank you'.

she slumped over the marble railing of the balcony after making sure the unnecessarily large door was closed behind her. elle let herself calm down, the storm of negative emotion swirling inside of her finally ceasing as she watched the sun disappear over the horizon. as long as the day felt, it went by surprisingly fast. it was midday that she became queen but now that she was stood watching the sun set, she could've sworn her coronation was mere minutes ago.

her thoughts were interrupted by the door creaking open. yuno peeked his head round the corner and rushed to close the door behind him as if he didn't want anyone seeing him coming out there.

"some people have a lot of nerve," yuno started, making his way over to the new queen and placing a comforting hand on her shoulder. elle turned to him and smiled, seeing him could instantly make her feel better.

"hello love, how are you finding the party?" she asked, moving as close to him as physically possibly without smothering him with her green poufy dress.

"it'd be better if i was by your side instead of being carted around by the captain all night, speaking to people who still look down on me for being a peasant." yuno smirked, dropping his hand down from her shoulder to her waist, he wasn't going to risk hugging or kissing her with so many people around but he felt the need to be close to her. "how is your first day as queen, your majesty?"

"delightful, as you've seen..." elle joked, turning back to watch as the sun fully disappeared, the darkness starting to fill the sky. "where's belle by the way? she wasn't with you yesterday either,"

"she's by the refreshments right now, probably squabbling with mimosa's brother. yesterday i left her outside the room so i could be alone with you without her getting jealous," he replied letting out a rare smile as he observed elle. "are you okay after that? everyone has been talking about the audacity of that man."

"he was some elder on my mother's side, damnatio's grandfather i believe. he's old so it's no wonder he has traditional views but he embarrassed both myself and nozel in front of many important people. it'll affect him more than us though so he dug his own grave." elle chuckled dryly, "i'm still too embarrassed to go back in there..."

"no one is judging you and even if those weirdly opinionated councilmen were, the magic knights have your back. captain william and captain yami were fuming after that, the spatial magic user from the black bulls had to hold yami back from chasing the old man out of the building."

"yeah that sounds like yami..." elle laughed, the tension easing as a genuine smile decorated her features. "will you head back in with me? i don't want to go in alone"

"of course" yuno placed a chaste kiss on her forehead and offered his arm.

elle took it and they headed back to the party together, even with the uncomfortable amount of eyes on them, they were always comfortable together.

—/<3/—

hello darlings. I hope everyone's doing okay, especially after roe vs wade was overruled. although i am not american, this has still had an effect on me so i can only imagine what american people with uterus' are feeling. this is a sad day for women anywhere and i can only hope that abortion law will be reinforced in the near future. abortion is healthcare and many will die without it. if you ever need someone to talk to feel free to reach out <3