V

—/<3/—

"oh my god... i'm finally done." elle gasped, the space besides her on her desk that was previously piled with paperwork was finally empty.

"i'm finally done!" she says again, excitement building up inside of her as she stood from her desk and stretched her limbs. a satisfying 'pop' resounding from her shoulder.

"IM DONE HAHA" she yelled, running from the bedroom that had been her prison for the past two days and straight into someone's torso.

"oi kid watch where you're going" a familiar deep voice grumbled.

"sorry yami, I'm finally done so i'm going to leave this godforsaken palace and never come back!" elle cheered, skipping around her tall brother before stopping. "wait why are you here?" she asked, turning back to face him.

"i was told to summon you, your father wants to talk to you" yami grunted, lighting a cigarette and walking past her. He was probably going to take a shit. he regularly todl her how much he liked the bathrooms in the palace.

"so much for leaving and never coming back..." elle sighed.

—/<3/—

"papa, you called?" the princess poked her head around the door, spotting two familiar figures, but yami was nowhere to be seen. "oh asta, yuno why are you here?"

"i had to speak to these two about their promotions, i called you here so you could go back to the golden dawn with yuno, you've been stuck in your bedroom for too long." the wizard king sighed "regardless if you've finished the paperwork or not, you're going back."

"you could've said that before i finished it..." elle deadpanned. had she really finished all that paperwork when her father was going to let her off at some point anyways? if she had known that, she would've taken a few more breaks to drag out the process.

"oops," julius chuckled bashfully, "off you go then, you're dismissed from your duties as princess."

"yuno, i'll wait outside so we can go back together." elle smiled, waving as she left through the tall office doors.

—/<3/—

"elle," yuno called, approaching the princess from behind, watching as she stretched her sore arms above her head.

"yuno," elle replied, turning to face him.

"i activated the spell," he told her "during the fight with the terrorist group."

"you did?! can i see?" she exploded in excitement. she'd been dying to see something fun for days but all she saw was the same lilac coloured walls of her bedroom, and unsigned documents.

"no..." yuno replied bashfully.

"what do you mean no?" elle pouted.

"i used it during the elf fight but it took up too much mana and i passed out. i can't show you until i can control it properly."

"okay, but you have to promise to show me when you can use it", the amethyst-eyed girl nodded in understanding, shoving her pinkie forward. "pinkie promise."

"are you a child?"

"yes, now promise me"

yuno sighed but locked his finger with hers nonetheless, screaming internally when she didn't let go.

"let's go into town first yuno, i haven't been outside in years." elle exaggerated, keeping their pinkies linked as she started walking, pulling yuno along with her. "i'll take you to my favourite bakery, my treat~" she looked back and winked.

'linked pinkies? is this like the royal version of holding hands? what is going on?' yuno thought, though he didn't protest.

he didn't know it yet, but he was slowing starting to like the princess as more than a friend.

—/<3/—

"mimosa," yuno said, causing the red-haired girl to jump. she was currently in the golden dawn headquarters' garden, relaxing by the fountain.

"yuno? when did you get here?"

"do all royals hold pinkies instead of holding hands?" he asked straightforwardly. he couldn't stop thinking about the strange interaction with his friend and decided to get another royal's confirmation.

he was taken aback when mimosa let out a laugh.

"are you talking about elle?"

"yes. she linked pinkies with me. i was confused."

"it's a habit shes had since she was little. if she went into a public place with noelle and i, she would always make us hold her pinkies so we didn't get lost since it can get quite busy," mimosa told him, a smile appearing on her face a she reminisced about her childhood.

"but why pinkies? why not linking arms or something?" he questioned.

"that's because linking arms is too hard for the person in the middle when there's 3 of you." a familiar voice said as she approached the duo, along with klaus.

"you know you could've just asked me yuno i wouldn't have gotten mad" elle laughed.

"what's this about?" klaus asked, out of the loop.

"elle links pinkies instead of linking arms." mimosa explained.

"that's kind of strange, why didn't you just hold hands..." klaus mumbled.

elle gasped dramatically. "did you hear that mimosa? klaus just dissed me... let's go." she held out her pinkie for mimosa to take, thankfully her childhood friend played along and grabbed elle's pinkie with her own, faking an offended huff.

they walked away without sparing a glance in the boys' direction. of course it was a joke and they weren't really angry, but klaus wasn't really known to take jokes well.

"oh no, i've angered the princess," klaus mumbled "wait! i didn't mean it! your pinkie habit is endearing i promise!" klaus rushed after the girls and they both laughed loudly from across the lawn.

'not a chance' yuno let a small smile slip at his friends antics before masking it again, following after them.

—/<3/—