XIV

—/<3/—

"what..." elle froze.

as much as she didn't want to believe the guy in front of her, everything added up. william was always gone, always unavailable when the eye of the midnight sun attacked and no one would be able to contact him. elle always thought it was because he was on the frontlines, fighting on the borders of the clover kingdom but she'd always find him in his office when she got back from writing reports.

licht smirked as she stopped attacking and that's when he made his advance. he noticed the magic-nullifying handcuffs attached to her hip and immediately made a move for them.
though elle was not frozen in shock for long, letting her guard down at any point was dangerous and stupid. she knew better than to let words affect her but now licht had her handcuffed and her magic was now stripped from her.

"i won't ever hurt you. i watched you grow up. i know how pure your heart is but you must come with me. i'll explain everything i promise." licht suddenly sounded sentimental and elle found it revolting. who even was this guy? he said he'd watched her grow up and obviously she found that creepy. this guy claimed to be the other soul in william's body and whilst it was obvious that he would've known her, it felt odd to know the enemy had been watching you since you were a toddler.

"what makes you think i'll just let you take me! where are you even going?" elle scoffed, this guy was making her extremely uncomfortable and now she couldn't even use her magic.

"you see that man up there is the real licht... i merely took on his name and appearance. my name is patry. licht was the leader of the elves 500 years ago before we were massacred by you humans. the stones we collected helped us reincarnate the elves and now we will wipe out the human race just as you did to us 500 years ago." patry sounded bitter, the grip he had on elle's shoulder tightening as he spoke, getting even tighter as she tried to wriggle free of his grip.

"and yet you're keeping me alive? you want to kill humans but you're taking me into your clan because another human told you to? your actions don't match up to your principles,"

"the only reason i'm keeping you alive is because william gave me his body. without it i wouldn't have been able to do any of this. so to pay back my debt to him i'm taking his sister in."

patry finally managed to wrestle elle into the open portal, dodging the punches and kicks she continuously threw out.

the kingdom was on the other side, they ended up on the high grounds of the clover castle. before long, her father appeared in front of them.

elle panicked when she realised where they were. she knew of patry's ginormous spell that was capable of wiping out the entire kingdom. her anxiety was only increased tenfold when she say a blip of the future.

"papa i'll deal with it... you go contact the squads..." her eyes widened, her whole body was shaking as tears began to build up. she struggled to break free from the nullifying cuffs even if she knew it was impossible. patry kept a hold of her.

julius looked at his daughter with a sad smile. he too knew that he would be dying today.

he started to communicate with patry but elle couldn't hear a thing. her mind was racing, a million thoughts entering and leaving her mind simultaneously. plans to save him, thoughts about the royal knights that were probably waiting for her to freeze time already, she wondered if she could get out of the cuffs if she dislocated her thumbs but knew it would ultimately fail since they were pretty much cutting the circulation off in her hands and there would be no room the wiggle them through even with dislocated thumbs.

elle was terrified. she didn't want to lose her father. she didn't want to have no family. she didn't want to be alone.

she fought against the cuffs as hard as she could, choking back frustrated sobs as she watched her father stop patry's spell.

time was running out and elle was useless. she couldn't stop anything, she couldn't help him, she couldn't protect him.

"papa please go..." elle was practically begging at this point. she stopped her pointless struggle with the handcuffs and resorted to trying to convince her father to go. she knew he wouldn't. he was the wizard king and he would never run from the enemy, he would never leave the citizens and his daughter in the hands of the enemy just to prevent his own death.

he would protect them over himself any day because that was his job.

elle watched as her father was impaled with patry's light magic.

she wanted to scream. she wanted to cry.

but even though all emotions ran rampant inside of her, she couldn't find a way to express them.

they say that it feels like your heart stops in these situations but elle's was pounding so hard against her ribcage that it began to hurt. an indescribable pain.

the princess fought as hard as she could to get out of the elf's grip and he let her. he wanted to make humans suffer, he wanted them to feel the pain that he felt as he watched his clan, his family was massacred right in front of him.

but although he had no regrets about killing the wizard king, he felt a spec of guilt for killing the father of the girl he'd watched grow up, the only blood family she had left.

elle stumbled over to her father's limp body, dropping down onto her knees next to him. he was still breathing. if she could get him to owen then maybe he would live.

"my daughter..." julius wheezed out, blood staining his lips as his breathe became ragged. "i believe in you. protect your kingdom for you will be the best ruler this kingdom has seen in years"

"no... i'm not ready, i need you." she ripped off her robe, pressing it down on the wound.

"oi old man, you better not be planning on dying right now. mushroom head what do you think you're doing?! go get help." thank god, yami had made his way up.

"it's too late for that black bull. the soul inside of him has already awakened." patry mused. his plan was coming together.

"yami, i'm leaving the rest to you. defeat the elves for me and take care of my daughter. it really was great to witness so many different types of magic."

his eyes closed.

no... no... No... noNoNONONO.

"yami get these cuffs off me"

"i'm afraid you're to come with me elle. those cuffs will stay on so you won't ruin my
plan-"

patry was cut off.

"fuck you and your plan. you really though i'd just grin and bare it? you thought i'd just go along with your plan just because william told you to let me live? did you really think i'd let william command my life after he betrayed me and this kingdom? william is dead to me now." elle spat. the look in her eye was no longer warm and kind like it once was. her glare was hard and murderous. the usual gleam in her amethyst eyes was clouded over.

"yami. cuffs, now"

"hold your wrists out for me princess" yami takes a drag from his cigarette and quickly slices through the cuffs using dark magic. the cuffs fell to the floor and yami deflected an oncoming hit from marx.

"oi mushroom head why are you attacking me?!"

"you've hurt william's feelings, elle. i won't forgive you for that but you must still come with me. i have a promise to uphold." patry's eyes were wide and his face looked lifeless, he claimed that william was looking through his eyes.

"maybe william should've thought that maybe when you kill somebody's dad, they're gonna be pretty angry at you." elle chuckled dryly. her mana had exploded as soon as the cuffs left her wrists.

"i'm not going to let you murder my people just because you have a 500 year old grudge."

—/<3/—

this book randomly gained like 300 more reads overnight so thank you for nearly 1k reads <3