IX

—/<3/—

"look at all the stalls!" mimosa called eagerly, looking around as she pulled elle, who was just as excited, over to the jewellery stands, looking for matching pairs of earring for them both to buy.

today was the day that elle had been looking forward to for weeks; the star festival. she loved everything about it. everyone was in high spirits, magic knights could show off their magic, the street food tasted amazing, and it was one of the only times of year where people of all status' could blend together without being looked down upon.

"the awards ceremony starts at 7pm, we have 3 hours until then. if you're going to wander off by yourselves, make sure to meet up as a group 20 minutes before to ceremony in this exact spot so we have enough time to make our way over." klaus rambled on like an overbearing parent.

"let loose klaus, don't spend the whole time worrying." elle chuckled, patting him on the shoulder as she and mimosa came back from the jewellery stall with a small bag each.

"you should stop thinking so much and enjoy yourself, klaus." mimosa agreesdbefore tugging him by the arm and disappearing into the crowd, not leaving any time for elle or yuno to follow them.

"why does it feel like they're always purposely ditching us..." elle muttered. yuno nodded in agreement before mustering up the courage to take her hand first, leading her through the crowd as they looked at each of the stalls trying to find one that piqued their interest.

"oh look yuno, it's asta and noelle! let's go say hi!"

"noelle!" elle waved to her friend as she practically dragged yuno in their direction.

the two black bulls were with two people elle had never met, they looked like siblings. one with dark blue hair and blue eyes, and the other with dark red hair and eyes. they seemed to know noelle and asta well so elle assumed they had met on a mission.

"huh? elle!" noelle turned around and waved her long-term friend over, preparing to introduce her to the two people, but elle had already clomped her into yet another of her bone-crushing hugs, letting go of yuno's hand in the process, causing the boy to frown slightly.

"yuno, princess elle!" asta yelled out in excitement.

"asta! your arms are fixed!" elle beamed, finally letting go of poor noelle who looked like she'd had the life sucked out of her. the young princess moved over to asta.

"yep! i got them healed by the queen of witches!"

"for free? she wouldn't do anything unless she benefits from it..." elle warned.

"don't worry, she already tried to take me as her puppet but vanessa learnt a super cool new spell and changed fate! it stopped me from killing my comrades." asta explained as if it was no big deal. how could he be so chill when he was literally nearly taken as a puppet for one of the most dangerous individuals in all the kingdoms?

"you really are a magnet for trouble..." yuno sighed, shaking his head as both elle and noelle nodded in agreement. belle was staring down the girl that was with noelle and asta, ranting about how 'yuno was hers and she shouldn't be looking at him like a lovesick puppy'.

"belle come here." yuno commanded.

"yes yuno~"

"elle, this is kiato and kahono, they're from the underwater temple" noelle introduced, "kahono, kiato this is elle novochrono-kira, the princess of this kingdom and her comrade yuno." noelle received a harsh glare from belle. "and yuno's wind sylph, belle." she quickly added, fearing she would be blown to outer space by the fairy.

"nice to meet you! you're from the underwater temple? that's so cool! what type of magic do you have?"

cue the deadpanning.

"not a chance..." yuno muttered. yuno grabbed elle's hand before she could finish her rant, pulling her away before shouting over his shoulder. "i'll see you later, asta!"

"bye noelle, kiato, kahono~"

"are they dating?... everytime i see them together they're holding hands" asta ask3; noelle.

"dating?!"

noelle's mind was racing. 'elle dating yuno? what would it be like to date asta? not that i want to date him or anything!'

—/<3/—

the clock had just struck six. elle and yuno had 40 minutes before they were due to meet up with klaus and mimosa. yuno had flown them onto a rooftop for some privacy, being surrounded by people constantly was surprisingly draining for him and he want to get away for a while. the sun was setting and yuno felt nervous. he was psyching himself up for something big.

this big thing was confessing.

belle was off with the captains somewhere, she wanted to watch captain charlotte's competition with venessa, claiming it was funny to watch girls fight over a man's heart when he was too oblivious to even know they liked him. yuno wasn't complaining, he got alone time with elle. the latter told the sylph to 'stay safe'.

"elle..." yuno started, his voice trailing off as he began to regret opening his mouth in the first place. he was nervous. very nervous.

elle hummed, turning her attention from the setting sun to her comrade. the golden hues lit up her face, making her look like a goddess in yuno's eyes.

"um," yuno stuttered. for once in his entire life he was lost for words.

'whatever' he thought. 'i'm just gonna do it. if she doesn't feel the same way at least i know she's kind enough to keep me as her friend'

"yuno?" elle waved a hand in front of his face, effectively breaking him from his trance. "you're spacing out, what were you saying?"

"i like you...romantically." yuno said bravely, even building up the courage to specify so the princess didn't misunderstand. he looked anywhere but her face, panicking internally.

his attention was brought back to her by a soft giggle and he turned to face her. a bright smile graced her features, the golden sun illuminating it, and the most loving look yuno had ever seen gleamed in her eyes. she really was ethereal.

she leaned over a pressed a soft kiss to his cheek before speaking. "i like you too...but unfortunately i have a very protective pair of brothers and father who tricked me into signing a contract that said i'm not allowed to date until 18,"

it was all true, but she was rambling nervously. he really didn't need to know that information. he hadn't even asked her to date him for goodness sake.

"we turn 18 next year, it's not too long of a wait." yuno chuckled, his cheeks dusted pink.

he stood up after the sun had disappeared below the horizon, holding his hand out to help the princess stand.

"let's go, the ceremony will be starting soon."

—/<3/—