Wattpad Original
There are 63 more free parts

management

noun ~ the process of dealing with or controlling people or things

After the whole, telling off the men for pointing fingers with no evidence, they had latched onto the witch idea. They now have strong belief that a witch, or clan, were behind the tack. Vampires didn't just spontaneously appear in a thick fog, and lights and electrics don't get cut without someone there to do it. The only option had to be a witch.

I had watched as the King grew uncomfortable, his mate being half-witch I expected it to be hard for him to discuss. However, the more the facts piled up, the more of an unsettling feeling I got. As the men in the room complained, threw sexist comments, or spoke harshly of the Omega, I had stayed lost in thought. I had to reign in my anger, knowing that if they slipped up one more time I would go full out Celimene on them. She growled in approval.

The King feeling uncomfortable about the conversation was normal, but it was the way he did not speak up about it that had me wondering. Surely he would defend his mate if it would come to it, but it was a rather large coincidence that the moment they are crowned, there is an attack that is potentially led by witches.

Witches who recruited vampires, who attacked women, Luna's. Why? Was it a taste for Luna blood? Was it a warning that they can attack anytime, anywhere? Or was it deeper than that? Were they looking for someone, was it my blood, as conceited as it sounds, they wanted? Or, were they biting the Luna's to show just how weak hierarchy can fall when Alpha's mates are inured...

If it wasn't for Phoenix and Charlie, most of those vampires would have been alive longer and caused more damage.

My eyes snapped up when my brain seemed to combust. So many questions, so many possibilities. But first, I needed to know why I had this strange ability to understand people... How could I see who was good, or bad? How could Celimene see that Calida was 100% human when no one else could? Why am I the only one in this goddamn room who doesn't see how strange the new Queen is? Why isn't she here? Why isn't Nox here?

Too many questions.

I need to calm my mind.

I inhaled deeply, seeking out my mate's warmth in the room. His hand was on my knee, clasping my palm gently. I looked up at him from where I stared at my lap, to see his harsh glare settled on an Alpha further down the table.

I tuned myself back in to the conversation.

"How do we know that the women aren't in on it?" He spat, throwing his arm in the air. "Half of them manage to get bitten by a vampire yet not changed? They could be conspiring to knock us men from the top spot!"

The group was divided. Growls of warning came from those who I suspected had mate's injured, but ones of agreement came from a select few. When the man's eyes turned to me, they narrowed.

"You, why are you in here? You were bitten, you are a Lycan, and you could very well be a part of this! Women do not come in the King's meetings." He growled.

I tensed, a grumble forming in my throat. He kept his good-for-nothing glare on me, waiting for my response. I heard Phoenix growl lowly, a warning for the man to watch his step. His eyes left me then, darting to my mate as though he forgot who he was. I watched as he swallowed, his glare vanishing as a look of indifference appeared instead.

I cleared my throat. "You are ridiculous."

"Excuse me?" He sneered.

I felt Phoenix squeeze my hand but I continued. "You heard me."

He growled at me and I bared my teeth in return. Calling upon Celimene's courage was easy; the girl was ready for a fight. I could feel her canines aching with the need to tear into him for disrespecting us. To warn him we could bite back too.