Wattpad Original
There are 31 more free parts

BONUS ~ distraction

noun ~ a thing that prevents someone from giving full attention tosomething else

PHOENIX

"What do you plan on doing now she's gone?"

I turned my attention to my Gamma, eyes narrowed in thought. He slowly chewed on the pizza in his hand, eyes shifting away from my intense gaze. I sighed, shaking my head to try and clear my thoughts.

Nova had been gone all morning now. Not long after she left, did I find myself on the training grounds. I had been slacking in taking care of my pack. Their disagreement for certain aspects of being the King's Warrior pack had made me feel shameful. So, I trained them all to the point they couldn't walk without complaining of cramps. I may have been a little harsh, however, I see that now the energy and adrenaline had worn off.

I was pleased when Nova contacted me through the mind link, proving how powerful she was even at a distance. It wasn't good for her, and I texted Charlie to ask how she was. She had fallen asleep in the back seat and they were half way to the Lycan pack. My chest ached with longing but I knew she was fine.

"I have a few ideas." I shrugged, turning back to Sean.

"Like what?" He frowned, licking away tomato sauce from his chin.

"Teaching you manners." I scowled.

He froze with his thumb halfway to his mouth. His eyes widened with alarm at my harsh glare but when I began to smirk his shoulders relaxed and he chuckled.

"Never known the Alpha to joke." He mused, continuing the grooming of his thumb.

"I am a funny person."

He snorted. "Sure, you are, Phoenix. My whole time as your beloved Gamma, you have always been the silent grumpy type."

Noticing my scowl deepen he backtracked.

"I mean, not that it's a bad thing. Being a strong Alpha has it perks; it means the pack grows well and we are well protected and-"

"Sean." I interjected.

"Yeah?"

"Shut up."

His eyes widened before he burst into a laugh. I sighed, shaking my head. If it wasn't my Beta it was my damn Gamma. Was there even a sane person in power of this pack anymore?

I stood from the table, pushing my chair in to leave.

"Where you going?" Sean questioned.

"To shower." I breathed, causing his nose to wrinkle. "Something you should do too once the pizza has vanished."

He smirked but shrugged his shoulders, continuing to eat. "Rose loves my appetite."

"Only because she is used to living with wild animals." I murmured.

"Hey!" He shouted. "Low blow."

I didn't wait around any longer, leaving Sean to his own devices. A part of me still loathed him for the moves he made on my mate. The border he tried to push between us. I was thankful that the bond was strong enough to not drift her away, she had still been attracted to me. Sean was just a thorn in her side that I had to shift. It was gradual, but now I had my mate all to myself, and selfishly I was glad of that. His mate coming into the picture only secured his fate and meant his advances had finally fallen dead.

I entered my room and stripped down bare on my way to the shower. The water was hot as it washed away the grime of working out. It was around three o'clock down, the training going longer than I expected. It was a good distraction. Hell, I needed one to stop me chasing after the car. My muscles ached and burned but the massaging water soothed the post-work out aches.