Wattpad Original
There are 62 more free parts

BONUS ~ powerful

adjective ~ having great strength or power

PHOENIX

I grumbled as the doors to the meeting room opened, leading Nova inside beside me as Charlie fell in line behind us. I walked us to the head of the table, pulling out her chair for her to sit. I nodded at Demetrius in greeting as I pushed her in and he gave me a small smile in return before his eyes fell on my mate.

Nova was frowning, looking up at me with the cutest scrunched eyebrows. 'I thought it was mandatory for every Alpha?'

I sat in my chair, looking at the door where I could sense my cousin lurking. 'He was one of the injured.'

From the corner of my eye, I could see her face filled with confusion, and I tuned into my mind when she began to throw mixed feelings into the bond.

'Weird.' She mumbled.

I turned in her direction, intrigued by her. 'How so?'

'I am confused. I seem to have two memories of him last night.'

'Two memories?' I frowned slightly, wondering what she was talking about. 'Which are?'

'Him getting taken down from the side by a vampire.' She mumbled. 'Then of him coming towards me, before it all went black.'

'He definitely got taken down. I saw it myself.' I replied.

Her confusion remained, her brain stuck in an inner turmoil as she tried to make sense of her confusing thoughts. Perhaps the vampire bite has made her confused? The Alpha was the first to be taken down. As soon as the fog hit, he was hit from the side and bitten, falling to the ground. It happened barely ten feet away from us. But then again, Nova seemed to have some kind of sixth sense.

The door creaking open brought our attention to the front, and I dropped the subject as Alexandar walked in. Behind him was a man I have only seen a handful of times. I didn't know his name, but he and Alexandar have been...acquaintances for a few years now. Alexandar was older than he looked. In human years he was fifty-eight but barely looked a day over thirty.

I felt a shift in Nova's appearance immediately. Her wolf had risen, the change in her eyes noticeable. I frowned slightly, reaching my hand out to place it on her thigh under the table.

'You sure you're okay?' I asked.

She jumped slightly but nodded. 'Yes, sorry... Just... Yeah, I'm good.'

I nodded, holding back my grimace. She wasn't okay. Something was on her mind and I would ask her about it later. For now, the King had reached the table, and we had to concentrate.

"Thank you for coming. We are here to discuss last night...it needs to be done."

Wolves shifted uneasily, looking among each other with tension on their faces. Many were still on edge from the attack, most wanting to flee to the safety of their pack. Naturally. The ones whose mates had been injured, well I wasn't sure how they are leaving them alone right now.

Alexandar sat down, clearing his throat. "So far, we are not sure who orchestrated the attack. Twenty-one vampires attacked last night, and all of them paid with their lives... Now, only factual evidence, please. Does anyone here have any inclination who may have started it?"

I waited, the same as Alexandar, as no one dared to speak first. I had my hand still on Nova's thigh, finding her tense as she gazed around the room. My eyes fell on Demetrius, who nudged his head slightly to look at the dark-eyed man beside him. His black eyes blinked at me, a scowl on his face as he nodded his head in respect. I turned back to Demetrius with confusion, but from the corner of my eye, I saw the stranger staring at my mate. That must've been what he was gesturing to.