Wattpad Original
There are 52 more free parts

envy

noun ~ a feeling of discontented or resentful longing aroused by someone else's possessions, luck or qualities

I was silent for a moment, trying to make the best of my emotions show. Molly could read me well by now, and I knew if I didn't hide my strong emotion she would find out. A mixture of emotion fleeted through my mind but I forced myself to focus on just the one.

Pregnant.

"Really?" I breathed. "When did you find out?"

She smiled softly, her finger tracing the edge of her cup. "Not long ago. Kate believes I am around seven to eight weeks. As you know we marked before you all went to the battle, and my heat came the week you came back, about a week before yours."

"Seven weeks? That's so early." I gasped. "Have you had a scan?"

She blushed. "I had one the other day. Werewolf pregnancies are so strange."

"How so?" I wondered, genuinely intrigued.

"Well, they are quicker, as you know. Turns out, it's all specific." She leaned closer, eyes wide. "It's normal in the first few months, being the essential time, then from like sixteen weeks it just gets quicker. Kate said when I am thirteen weeks it all starts to speed up. Then from twenty weeks, I'm practically in my final trimester and I will balloon like crazy."

I smiled at her delight, swallowing down the sudden envy I was feeling. I wasn't quite sure why I was feeling this way, I had not wanted a child right now. We had hardly discussed it until my appointment with Kate, so why was I feeling this way?

"That sounds...painful." I breathed a laugh. "Has she given you a due date?"

She nodded, sipping from her drink. "Mid-February. It could be any time within a couple of weeks of each other. When I'm further along, I can have a better idea of a date since they change so quickly."

"Wow, that's just... I thought you were avoiding me." I chuckled awkwardly.

Thankfully Jeremy came out with our meals and the awkwardness ended there. We started to eat quietly but I could see Molly glance at me warily every so often. When she did it for the fifth time, I put down my fork and stared at her.

"What's wrong?" I wondered.

She sighed, slumping in her seat. "I can't keep secrets from you. Not only are you my Luna, but you are my best friend and it sucks hiding them."

"Secrets?" I asked, tilting my head.

"The whole baby thing. I felt like I had to hide it from you, and I feel so guilty for feeling that way." She winced and I felt a small frown cover my lips. "When you told me about how you may not be able to have a baby for a while, it made me feel so guilty for being able to have one so easy."

I felt my heart ache and I sighed, taking her hand across from me. "Molly. My struggles are mine to hold. You shouldn't feel guilty for having your own successes. A baby is incredible! That's two babies this pack is going to have, it's going to be great."

"Two?" She wondered.

I laughed. "Kate didn't tell you? She's pregnant too."

She gaped at me, her mouth wide open as she ran through the possibilities in her head. "She did look a little tired for a nine o'clock appointment..."

I smiled at her, taking my hand back to continue eating. "Looks like baby Molly will have a best friend after all."

Her smile wasn't as bright as mine as she gazed at me. "I'm sorry, Nova. I wish we were both in this boat together."