Wattpad Original
There are 82 more free parts

routine

noun ~ a sequence of actions regularly followed

I winced when I remembered that day. I had got out of it lucky, no hard damage. Phoenix was furious and had placed me on bed rest. I mean, I understand I couldn't see or stand straight but I felt fine. It was nice to have Phoenix caring for me though and laying on the bed made me realise how much I relied on myself to get through in the past. Phoenix was always so eager to take on my burdens, and I tried my hardest to do the same in return.

So that is why today, I was back in the office, helping him with the paperwork. It was raining outside, the September weather slowly coming into effect. I couldn't wait for autumn; the amazing colours always had me itching to create.

Phoenix suddenly sighed and I snapped my head up to glance at him. He leaned back in his chair, cracking his fingers above his head. I licked my lips, drinking in the tightness of his chest. He smirked knowingly at me, a playful look in his eye.

"No," I warned, pointing my pen at him. "Last time you gave me that look, none of this work got done and that is why we have so much today."

He laughed, shaking his head. "I was going to suggest we go and get lunch."

I eyed the clock by his door and was startled to see it was creeping up to two o'clock. "Yeah, sure. Let's go."

He smiled and together we rose from our chairs and left the office. Ever the gentleman, Phoenix held the door before grabbing my hand. We made our way down the halls to approach the kitchen. Surprisingly, Sean and Charlie were still in the kitchen, both with chicken wings in their hands. I frowned at the grease that coated their skin, knowing they would leave sticky marks over everything they touched.

They turned to us when we entered and Charlie's eyes widened in surprise. I eyed him, suspicious of his sudden shock. He cleared his throat, placing his bowl down on the kitchen side.

"Hey, there's the wonderful Alpha pair." He smiled.

When his eyes glanced at me, I narrowed mine in return. He swallowed, looking away from me. Definitely hiding something.

"What have you guys been up to?" I asked.

Sean shrugged and I turned to him, "Just finishing lunch and discussing mate stuff. Have you guys eaten yet? The leftovers are in the fridge."

Phoenix released my hand and thanked him, making his way towards the fridge. I slid myself into the bar stools beneath the breakfast table, not missing how Charlie inhaled sharply as I did so.

"What's going on with your mates anyway?" I wondered.

Sean smiled down at me, leaning his elbows on the countertop to come to my level. He had grown his hair out in the weeks since finding his mate, his pale grey eyes now complemented by light brown hair. It was weird to see him with hair after months of him having a buzz cut, but I quite liked it. I ran my fingers through the short length and he chuckled at me.

"Rose shifted for the first time since she was taken."

My eyes widened. "That's amazing, how did it go?"

His smile faltered slightly. "She was terrified. Her wolf ended up taking control for a moment but I found her wolf took more comfort in me than she does. It was spontaneous; her wolf got too strong after so long of being suppressed. It was inevitable but she wouldn't shift willingly in fear of losing control."

"But she did anyway." I sighed, "Is she okay now?"

He nodded, grinning. "She actually wants to shift tonight, willingly."