Wattpad Original
There are 14 more free parts

power

noun ~ strength and force exerted bysomething or someone

Phoenix's wolf snarled and my gaze travelled to the remaining wolves. Behind him was my brother Leo, stood in his wolf form and snarling. Next to him were both Samson and Aldren, stood still clothed and covered in blood. Charlie was a little to the side, slowly shuffling towards a shocked Pollux who was staring down at his hands, mouth open with dying words.

Cracking of bones sounded through the air and I spun my gaze around to see Phoenix now stood in the place of his wolf. His eyes, still pitch black, glared holes into Master. He didn't meet my eyes and I whimpered with the need to find his gaze. My heart raced in my chest, the bond thrumming between us.

It had been so long. His hair was wild and dishevelled, his skin coated with blood. His beard had become unkept, gruff along his chin. I could see the slight rise and fall of his taught chest, his back tense and ready for action. His muscles seemed to bulge, riled up from the fights. I wondered just how hard he had been training whilst I was gone.

The grip on my throat tightened at my sound and I winced as my breathing became shallow. Charlie pulled his shirt from his head and handed it to Phoenix, who, instead of wearing it, tied it around his waist. If I wasn't currently being forced against my will, I would laugh.

"Now, not only have you killed one Lycan today, but another's blood will run dry." Master glowered.

"Release her." Phoenix snarled.

My heart raced in my chest with the lacking supply of oxygen causing Phoenix's eyes harden.

"I can either kill her now, or take her with me, as planned." He snickered.

Phoenix's eyes glanced at the wolf holding me, swallowing harshly. "Nox. Let her go."

Nox? Where had I heard that name before?

Images of the vampire attack at the castle ran through my mind, ones of an Alpha charging towards me. I tensed, realisation dawning on me. The Alpha that was injured; the one that took over Lyra's pack whilst she was gone. He was in on it! I knew he was! The vampires did not attack him. I had to be right. He set us up.

Perhaps... that was their first attempt at taking me?

"Not gonna happen, Titan." Nox spat.

The surrounding wolves bristled, low growls escaping their mouths. My tongue darted out to lick at my lips, my fingers scratching at Nox's arms. Phoenix still wouldn't look at me, and I knew I had to do something. I refused to allow a repeat of the last fight to happen.

Celimene, where are you? I breathed.

She weakly nudged my mind. 'I'm here. I cannot shift Nova. The spell they held on me has been on too long. I need time.'

I just need your strength, Cel, just some help. I can't get out of this myself.

She whimpered. 'I can't. I have none.'

I was afraid so. I don't know how I am going to get out of this one. I'm cuffed and exhausted.

'You are more than a wolf, Nova. You don't need me for everything. Look how much you have endured by yourself. Your whole life without me, and you have done so well.' She whined, licking her snout with pain.

I wouldn't say I've done well... I murmured.

Reminders of every pain I've ever been through flashed through my mind. I could see what she meant, though. I had spent so long by myself that Celimene's addition to my life was nothing in comparison. I have only had her for about seven months. It was nothing compared to the many years of isolation and loneliness. I had power that I never knew I had, a strength running deep in my veins.