Wattpad Original
There are 34 more free parts

flashback

noun ~ a memory or scene set earlier than the present

"Find anything interesting?" Charlie asked.

I had made my way back outside to find him standing on guard by the back door. My eyes ran along the burnt and broken porch with distaste, the image of my dying father forever burned into my mind. He noticed my staring and frowned, calling my name.

"Sorry, this is just where..." I rambled, my eyes unable to leave the ground.

"It's okay. I get it." He breathed, coming to stand closer to me. "When my father died, I constantly found myself avoiding the place where he passed."

"You did?" I wondered, finally looking away from the wood.

He nodded with a faint smile. "It wasn't a place that I could avoid much so it meant I had to take the long way around the house often."

I smiled slightly at his half-hearted laugh. "If you don't mind me asking, how did he pass?"

His face fell and he studied my curious one before sighing. "I've never really spoken to anyone about it."

"I'm all ears if you need someone to talk to." I smiled gently.

He chuckled. "If I tell you, that means you are officially as cool as Phoenix now."

I grinned. "I would be honoured to be that cool."

He rolled his eyes before the garden fell tense. I could hear Pollux talking to Alessea around the front of the house as they discussed the fire. When their footsteps crunched on the dirt path I sought out my brother's mind to find him leading her towards the trees and gardens. I blinked back at Charlie, giving him a small smile.

"Okay, I will tell you. Only because I love you that much."

CHARLIE

"You love me?" Nova teased.

I rolled my eyes. "Not as much as I love Phoenix."

We laughed as I pulled her away from the burnt wreckage, inhaling deeply. "My father was a Beta, it was only apt that I too got the Beta genes. He...died the day after I shifted. We were out on a hunt, his wolf wanting to teach me the ways of the hunt. My mother had not come with us, being heavily pregnant with my little sister. It was her fourth pregnancy, but I was her only child."

She winced, mumbling an apology for my loss which I shrugged off.

"Nature calls when it is not meant to be, I guess." I frowned. "My story is similar to Phoenix's. As my father and I were hunting, we allowed our wolves to be free. Little did we know what was about to happen back home. There was a border breach, on the opposite side of the pack lands. They managed to get to the packhouse and slaughtered a lot of our wolves. Being mostly wolf, my father became enraged. He ordered me to follow behind him after we heard our Alpha's call...

"The Luna was one of the first die, which lead to the Alpha becoming savage and killing anything in his path. One of those things happened to be my mother."

She inhaled sharply, the sounds of her shaky breath filling the quiet. She was so small beside me, I couldn't help but feel protective of her as she looped her arm through mine.

"The breach had caused her to go into labour, they say caused by the panic." I continued, looking into the trees. "She went to the Alpha for help, but he had lost it by then after feeling the bond break. He pushed her and she fell right over the edge of the upstairs bannister. It was a clean ten feet drop onto the cold tile. She died instantly, and I lost both her and my little sister."