Wattpad Original
There are 44 more free parts

questions

noun ~ a sentence worded or expressed to elicit information

The dining room was large and dimly lit as we entered. I was immediately drawn to an older couple already sitting at the table. One was Samson, the other was a blonde female who looked strikingly familiar. Dark, almost brown, blonde hair and the familiarity of green eyes were wide open when we made eye contact.

"Wow." She breathed. "I thought Pollux looked like her, but you, my dear, are her double."

I swallowed, taking the seat Charlie had pulled out for me in front of her. I sat down carefully, keeping my eye on the woman opposite me.

"Avani, you haven't even introduced yourself and you're already making poor Nova nervous." Samson chuckled, pouring himself a drink from a wine bottle.

She took a long blink, staring at her mate before looking back at me with a sheepish smile. "Sorry, it just took me by surprise."

"It's okay." I smiled.

"How was the drive?" Samson interjected, looking between the three of us.

Charlie was sat on my right, Pollux on my left. Samson was opposite Pollux, Avani ahead of me. Aldren has disappeared as we walked in, but I could hear his footsteps in the next room.

"It was good, no traffic at all." Charlie shrugged. "We stopped for lunch a while ago so we're eager to eat."

I almost winced at the small talk that continued, hoping for a good conversation to come along that we can all easily settle into. Aldren walked in then, a tray in his hands as the woman from the ball entered behind him, hands grasping two wine bottles. Her dark blonde hair was tied at the back of her head, curled strands escaping around her ears. She smiled warmly at us as she entered the room.

"Who's up for wine?" She cheered.

Samson, her father, rolled his eyes grumbling her name, Alessea, and took a drink from his glass. Avani held up her glass with a grin. Alessea popped the bottle with her teeth before pouring her a glass and filling up her own.

"Wine, Nova?" She asked, blue eyes turning to me.

I held back my blush at being spoken to but nodded my head and passed my glass. She grinned, filling it halfway before setting it back on the table. Aldren was sat at the head of the table now, between his father and Pollux, and Alessea sat at the foot.

"Is your grandmother not joining us?" Pollux wondered.

My interest peaked and I found myself sitting up straighter in my seat. Their grandmother? She was still alive? She still lived around here?

Alessea shook her head, swallowing her drink before she snorted. "She doesn't eat with us."

"How come?" He asked, hands laced together in front of him on the table.

"It's how she is." Samson sighed and I looked at him. "When my father died, she decided to live away from the main house. She tends to keep to herself these days."

"She is still alive?" I found myself asking.

His blue-grey eyes flickered to me, a frown on his mouth. "Yes. She is five hundred and one years old."

"When did her mate pass?"

His jaw clenched, an uncomfortable practice I was so familiar with. "Around eighty years ago. Not long after Aldren was born."

I looked to Aldren next, trying to conceal my shock. "Wow... I am sorry for asking, I can see it's not a comfortable conversation for you."

He smiled, shaking his head. "It still feels so fresh. When you live for so long, it disappears but as time goes by you start to question the whole reason for living so long."