Wattpad Original
There are 5 more free parts

BONUS ~ whole

adjective ~ in an unbroken state; entire

PHOENIX

Nova had finally come out of the scans, and I had not left her side since. I could hear the steady beat of her heart in her chest, the warming thrumming coming from our child's bond. Many had tried to come in over the course of the past few days but I remained vigilant. I wasn't leaving her this time.

Charlie came in regularly, in hopes to get me dressed and clean. Most of the time I ignored him but when I was in a good mood, I listened to him and allowed him to watch over her whilst I got refreshed. He had proved himself a worthy Beta, caring for my mate whilst I lost myself to my wolf on the battlefield.

He had protected her when I could not, Ares fell victim to his instincts. I hardly remembered the brutality of it, the faint recognition of blood in my mouth as I tore into the enemy. I wanted to visit the cells, to give Donovan a piece of my mind, but I could not leave Nova. If she woke up and I wasn't here... I couldn't live with myself.

Kate had given her a sedative, but it has long since worn off. Her wolf must be comatose and keeping Nova asleep for her own repair. She would wake up feeling better than she ever has done, full of my blood and medicines combined.

Walking out of my the hospital's bathroom, I lazily dried my hair on the towel. Charlie was sat in the chair I often preoccupied, the television remote in his hand as he scrolled through channels. His brown eyes lifted to meet me, creasing in the corners as he gave me a once over.

"There, you smell a lot better. Feel any better?" He smirked.

I narrowed my eyes at him. "Yes. Thank you."

He shrugged. "No prob."

I sat on the edge of Nova's bed, my hand clasping her warm ones. My chest ached every time I looked at her closed eyes, hoping for the moment she opens them and looks at me. Five weeks was just too long.

"Charlie." I began.

I raised my head to see him tense, his arm mid-stretched to aim at the television better. He swallowed, eyes shifting to meet mine.

"Yeah?"

"I just want to say thank you."

His eyebrows furrowed, arm dropping to his lap. "You already have?"

I sighed, shaking my head. "For looking out for Nova. During the battle you really stepped up."

His smile was faint as his eyes drifted off to a spot on her bed. "I felt obliged too."

"You looked after her when I couldn't, I owe you a debt."

He shook his head, a bark of laughter escaping him. "Honestly, no debt needed... But if you are offering, Charlie is a pretty good name for a kid."

He laughed at my unimpressed expression, but I just shook my head.

"How about, I'll think about it." I mused.

He shrugged, a wide grin erupting on his cheeks. "That'll do I suppose."

He stood from his chair, brushing imaginary dirt from his clothes. I watched him curiously as he bent down to pull a back and set it by Nova's feet. My eyebrows creased as he rifled through, muttering under his breath. What was he doing?

"A-ha! Here they are."

"Here what are?" I wondered.

"The papers you asked for." He smiled, passing me two sheets of paper.

"You got them done already?" I raised an eyebrow.

"What can I say, I'm good." He laughed.

I looked to Nova briefly when her blood pressure machine kicked in, tightening around her feet. Kate had decided to use it two days ago when it seemed she wasn't going to wake anytime soon. I just helped increase the blood flow to her feet, since being laid down for so long wasn't going to do anyone any good. We washed her every day and night, but you couldn't do much with a dead weight and a warm cloth.