Wattpad Original
There are 71 more free parts

preparations

noun ~ the action or process of getting ready

Before I knew it, it was the day of the coronation. It was just Phoenix, Charlie and I attending, being the main wolves of the pack. Surprisingly, they had taken it in turns to drive, and I must admit watching Phoenix drive was strangely attractive.

We had left early this morning and it was coming on lunchtime when Charlie pulled the car down the long driveway. I was sitting in the back, having the most room out of the three of us, just how I liked it. And like the time before, I found my face pressed against the tinted window, the rain outside ruining my chance of a better glimpse. It was magnificent as always, despite the season change. Colours were overcome with reds, purples and browns, the remaining greenery falling victim to the season.

Charlie pulled the car up and a small cluster of wolves immediately came to stand by. My door was opened, as was Phoenix's but Charlie stepped out himself. I wrapped my coat around myself as the rain pelted the umbrella that the wolf was holding for me. I had noticed the relief when he saw how short I was, compared to the tiptoes of the wolf holding Phoenix's. If I hadn't felt bad, I would've laughed.

Phoenix's dark eyes met mine from across the car and I hurried my way around Charlie who was demanding our suitcases to be taken from the car. I ran into Phoenix's warm embrace and together we huddled our way into the castle. The doors opened for us, like something out of a fairy-tale, and we were welcomed into the warming hallway.

I looked around, shrugging my hood off my shoulders. The castle looked the same, just as clean and pristine as the last time. I could not sense the soon-to-be King anywhere but I was happy he had finally found his mate so he could take the throne so easily. We had been stopped in the foyer; Phoenix's hand clasped in mine as we looked around the room.

Footsteps sounded behind me and I turned to see Charlie enter, a scowl on his face as wolves carried in our bags. I had to remind myself that whilst we were in the presence of other packs, he changed his persona. It was rather marvellous but this Charlie was frightening. It reminded me of when I first met him; stern, dominating features. Even his chocolatey baby eyes were harsh.

His gaze was centred on in front of him but flickered down when he caught me staring. He said nothing as he came to stand beside me, his front breathed lightly against my back. I looked to Phoenix to see his jaw set as a small female approached us.

She bowed before us, her hands slightly shaking with nerves. "Good afternoon, Alpha Titan, Luna Titan, Beta Evans... It is a pleasure to welcome you. My name is Liliana, your rooms have been set up and your baggage is already there. If you'll follow me, I will take you to your rooms."

"Where is the King?" Phoenix wondered.

She licked her lips, her eyes staring at the ground. She was a very submissive wolf; that or Phoenix was being extra mean. I leaned to look at him better, to find it was a mixture of both. I squeezed his hand and his jaw twitched.

"I was under the impression he would be greeting me." He continued, making me roll my eyes.

"Y-yes, sorry Alpha Titan, he has been caught up in the coronation detail. Things are not going as planned so far." She gushed before her eyes widened at her admission.

Phoenix hummed, and I squeezed his hand again in an effort to have him play fair. It was like I was handling a bulldog or a child.

"I understand." He grunted, "Please, show us our rooms."

I sighed, Cel huffing at her mate's domineering talk. Charlie stayed silent, falling into step behind us. I felt like if I stumbled or took one step too short he would step on me; he was that close. Liliana led us to our rooms, claiming there was only one other on this end of the hallway and it would remain vacant as per our request. We thanked her and she practically ran away, her head bowed.