Wattpad Original
There are 28 more free parts

morning

noun ~ the period of time before noon, especially from sunrise to noon

I woke to a loud bang on the door. I shot up in the bed, a groan escaping me as my back began to ache. The door opened loudly, metal screeching against the floor. I winced looking to my disrupter of sleep with displeasure.

I was surprised that it was a masked figure who walked in, and I tensed when they just stood at the door. After a moment of long eye contact, they stepped closer and the door slowly shut behind them. I swallowed nervously, my sleepy brain kicking into gear when the door clicked closed. I dared to move my eyes elsewhere, taking in the short stature of the figure.

They wore a long black cloak, the black mask of everyone else with a black hood. Black heeled boots and skinny jeans covered their lower half and I saw the peaking of dark painted nails with multiple silver rings on their fingers.

They cleared their throat which had my eyes snapping back to their own with slight alarm. The room fell silent again and I felt the growing tension turn into awkwardness. Why were they just standing there?

They sighed, before lifting their wrist to glance at a sleek black smartwatch. I watched as the light from the screen illuminated their face and for only a moment, I saw brown eyes staring down at it blankly.

I cleared my own throat, deciding on being the first to speak. "Can I help you?"

There was a long pause before they spoke. "Maybe."

The voice was light and feminine and my eyebrows creased in familiarity. Only one word was spoken, but I felt like I recognised the tone.

"Why are you in here?"

They didn't speak and I frowned.

"Are you here to drag me somewhere?"

"No."

I huffed at the short replies, my eyes dropping to the cuffs around my burnt wrists. "Are you going to hurt me too?"

"No." The voice was stern.

"Who are you?"

They hesitated and I watched as they glanced at the closed door, almost like they were listening to something. I counted to forty before they moved suddenly towards me. I jolted at the closeness but they only crouched down to whisper into my ear.

"You need to be careful here. There are a lot of people who want your head rolling."

I swallowed loudly, my breaths shaking as I exhaled. This was too much for a late-night wake-up call.

"A-Are you ...one of those people?"

They leaned away with a smirk, the only emotion I have seen on their face since they infiltrated my cell.

"Maybe."

It was quick and unnecessary but the figure turned and walked out of the room, the lock clicking behind them. I sat for a moment, wondering what the hell just went on. After gathering my bearings, I looked around the dark cell to look out of the window. It was nighttime, but the moon was slowly disappearing as the sun rose. I wondered what day it was, and where I was and decided to spend the rest of the sunrise looking out of the window.

It felt strangely nostalgic, watching the sunrise on a new day. My heart ached with the thought of Phoenix and I finally felt the tears in my eyes begin to pool. I really hoped he was okay, that he was looking for me. I hoped no one I loved dearly had been hurt and that I would get out of here safe. I was fed up with this lifestyle, always being bait for someone, and just wished for a normal life.