Chapter 19

My alarm wakes me up. I feel so tired because I haven't slept well. When I went to Michael at midnight, he felt so bad and tired so I had to make sure he's okay. I do morning hygiene and just wear a black silk robe over my black nightgown because I'm definitely gonna sleep after taking care of Michael. I just brush my teeth and wash my face and get Michael's pills. I walk to his room seeing him sitting on the bed looking so in pain.

"You haven't slept?", I ask softly touching his arm.

"Yes, one of my very bad days.", he sighs.

"This'll ease the pain.", I say and give him the pills and a glass of water.

"Thank you.", he says and swallows it.

"Do you want a massage?", I ask.

"Yes, please.", he says and scratches his aching shoulder.

I help him take his pajama shirt off and make him sit in front of me. I start kneading his shoulder gently while he lets out painful groans. I massage them a bit more gentler. He still looks hurt. I decide to put the ointment. Maybe it'll rest his muscles a bit. I feel bad for him.. I rub it on his shoulder gently. I wait for it to dry but see Michael yawning quietly.

"You're sleepy?", I ask.

"Mhmm.", he hums and rubs his eyes.

"Come here.", I say and pull him making him lay on my chest.

I pull the covers over us making us warm. I keep stroking through his hair in a motherly way, even though he's two years older than me. He starts to cry.

"Hey, what's happening?", I ask softly.

"My shoulder hurts.", he cries.

I keep kissing his head and massaging his shoulders gently. I stroke his back while he just lays on my chest in my arms. I kiss his head multiple times and play with his hair. He closes his eyes and falls asleep. I keep him between my arms rocking him. I enjoy being so motherly. I get out of bed making sure he doesn't wake up. I wear a red floral summer dress and black sandals. I walk to my kitchen to cook breakfast. I cook scrambled eggs and sausages. My doorbell rings. I open it and see Adeline, Dixie, Winifred and Samuel standing there.

"Fuck off.", I say.

"Oh, nice to see you too, Florence.", Adeline says sarcastically.

I stick my middle finger up and smile sarcastically.

"Come in, Sam.", I say.

"Florence!", he says. "They all came here to apologize!"

"Then, go ahead; apologize.", I say.

Winifred clears her throat.

"I'm sorry, I didn't wanna see you at the time I was at the hospital. But I wasn't really myself. Sorry, Flora.", she says leaning in to hug me.

I back off.

"Yeah, anybody got anything else to say?", I ask.

"Why should you be so damn bitchy?! You are gonna accept her apology and shut your fucking ass up! We came here to apologize and here; you being such a motherfucker!", Dixie yells.

"It is me who's being bitchy?! You shut your fucking ass up or I swear I'll call the cops, you whore! Get the fuck away!", I yell.

I see Michael getting behind me with his crutches.

"Don't say you were fucking him while your best friend was at the hospital!", Dixie yells.

"Why are you so concerned?", I ask.

"What the fuck would a shirtless man be doing in your house, coming from upstairs? And all the bedrooms are upstairs!", she yells.

"Uhm, ma'am I had an accident the same day she had an accident and Florence is taking care of me.", Michael says.

"Umm, sorry.", Dixie mumbles.

"No!", I yell. "Fuck off!"

I slam the door in front of them with tears in my eyes.

"I-I'm gonna go to the backyard.", I stutter fighting my tears. "If you need me, call me."

I walk off to my backyard and sit by a tree. I rest my head on the trunk, crying like a maniac. Why did all this have to happen? I keep sobbing until I feel an arm wrap around my shoulders from the side. I turn around and see Michael. I throw myself in his arms and keep crying.

"Am I so bad that nobody loves me?", I ask crying.

"No, Beautiful. We all love you. Don't ever think of this.", he says softly kissing my forehead.

I realize what's happening and quickly pull off. I feel so shy now.

"Sorry, Michael. I should be the one looking after you. I was just so stupid.", I say.

"You don't have to hide your feelings. I thought best friends can look after one another.", he says.

I'm trying so hard not to cry again. I feel Michael's arms wrapped around me as I continue crying.

"Shhh, it's alright.", he whispers as he strokes my hair.

"I'm so useless.", I cry.

"No, Florence! If you were useless, I would already be still in a wheelchair. If you were useless, your friends wouldn't be fighting with you because they'll think they don't need you. But they love you. So that's why they're arguing.", he says kissing my head.

I sniffle.

"Want a cuddle upstairs?", he asks.

I nod and help him up.