1. Breaking the rules.

Third party POV

Amia, who regrettably was the last to leave the office for the evening, detested working nights despite the fact that they came with some benefits, including a premium for working nights and access to late-night snacks that no one could prevent her from enjoying.

But after working a late-night shift at the restaurant and being the last to close it, Amia could think of nothing more terrifying than having to make the long walk home to her parents in the middle of the night.

Amia took a deep breath and hoped she would make it home safely in one piece. The situation was made worse by the fact that there was no moonlight tonight and that there were no lights on the streets that led up to her house. In the complete blackness, it resembled a catacomb.

When Amia checked the time on her phone, she discovered that it was almost 10:55 p.m. and she still hadn't gotten home. She knew her parents were extremely concerned about her tardiness when all of a sudden her mother's contact number appeared on the phone's screen, and she received the call.

"Mom, I'm almost home." She quickly informed her parents that she was approaching as she increased her speed.

"Ok but hurry up!" They urged her disconnecting the line.

She was worried that she wouldn't be able to navigate the pitch-black, forbidding streets and that she wouldn't be able to run away in the event that she got herself into trouble. Her neighbourhood was quite unstable; one moment it was secure, and the next, things started to go wrong.

Despite the fact that crime had managed to significantly decrease over the past few weeks, Amia's neighbourhood wasn't generally safe. The thieves who had previously been present didn't simply vanish.

Amia had a job as a waitress a few blocks away which would make just enough for there family to prepare a small meal once or twice a day, it wasn't much but it was better than nothing.

Amia's parents were now on pension which was unfortunately still wasn't enough to make ends meet. Amia was now twenty three years of age carrying the burden of her entire family upon her shoulders but she would do it over and over again in a heartbeat.

Amia prayed to God that he would soon shine some light upon her family and her lifeless existence, which seemed to be diminishing away without any life to it. Amia didn't have many friends or romantic interests, for that matter; all she had were her parents and god.

Even though Amia was still quite young, she occasionally questioned whether she would have no fun for the rest of her life. Perhaps she needed to make different decisions in her life?

Amia was always asked out a few times by guys but had never felt the urge to continue seeing them after their first date together for different reasons.

Amia had a bad feeling that something terrible was about to happen as she was making her way home. She accelerated even more, almost running, while tightly clutching her purse to her side.

Amia was only a few metres from her house, and when she finally saw it, she sighed with relief. However, as soon as she heard a faint noise coming from a few feet away behind a tree, she stopped dead in her tracks.

Her thoughts that something bad was about to happen were somehow confirmed, and her heart started to race. The noise appeared to be coming from someone who was in excruciating pain.

She didn't want to walk by and examine what was going on because if she did, the next thing she knew, she would be reported missing or dead. What if this person was trying to deceive her? Either way, she needed to pass by him or her in order to get to her house.

Mustering up the courage Amia tried crossing the street instead then once she was across from her house, she would cross the street again and get into her house in one piece just as she prayed.

It was sad that even though she was only a few feet from her house, there were no street lights nearby, making it difficult for her to see precisely what was in front of her. To see anything, she had to squint her eyes together.

As she was about to cross the road and go on her way the sound grew even louder and the thought of her helping someone in need crossed her mind.

What if she was the only source of assistance available to that person? What if she had the opportunity to assist him or her and decided not to, and the following day it was reported that they had passed away?

She attended church every Sunday and listened to sermons encouraging others to always help those in need, despite the fact that she was unable to help herself.

Amia wiped her now sweaty hands on her jeans and thought carefully about her options because she knew that whenever she felt anxious, something like this would always happen.

Amia prayed to the lord above that nothing bad would happen to her as she slowly began to make her way over to the individual in agonizing pain.

When this person was examined more closely by Amia, it was revealed to be a man who was tightly holding onto his side and appeared to be bleeding.

Amia gasped upon seeing the scene in front of her; having witnessing the man on the brink of death, there was no way she could now leave him to die alone; it was obvious that she needed to assist.

Amia got down on her knees and took off her beloved jacket, which she adored, and wrapped it around the dying man to stop the bleeding. He was only carrying a gunshot wound to his side.

While she had first aid supplies in her room, her parents would not have permitted her to bring a stranger into the house, especially if they believed it might endanger them. Despite the fact that she could actually help this man, they would not have agreed to it.

Thinking about all the possible scenarios that could possibly happen next, Amia wondered what she was going to do but upon seeing the man now laying flat on his back almost lifeless. Amia then decided to go with what her heart told her.

Amia made the decision to assist the stranger in the hopes that she would be compensated for her deed by god with kindness rather than death, as the odds of her surviving this situation were entirely ninety-percent against her favor.

She merely hoped that this wouldn't ultimately haunt her or come back to bite her in the behind, but little did she know that this was just the beginning of her future, divinely-sent prayers.