29. A dark and dirty secret.

"Marcello we need to talk." I finally was able to video call him after coming home from work.

He was sitting elegantly at his desk, surrounded by paperwork, as I could see. He appeared just like a businessman would, save for the tattoos that were clearly visible on his hand and neck and gave him a dangerously attractive appearance.

Probably keeping track of his family's enormous amount of funds and businesses they have running.

"Whilst I haven't been in a serious relationship before, little one, I can't say haven't been warned time and time again about that one phrase 'we need to talk' now I sincerely hope it isn't what I think it is because I've already made it clear to you, it's either me or nothing else. You'll forever be my woman whether you like it or not." I giggled to his statement even though it was a serious matter.

"And what if I choose to runaway and you never see me again?" I questioned teasing him.

"Princess, you can't escape me, and thus I've stationed bodyguards all around you at all times." I realized I was straying in our conversation and in response to Marcello's statement I decided to get back to the subject at hand.

"Baby we need to talk-"

"Baby? I'm questioning whether or not you calling a mafia boss 'baby' is suitable. I'm unsure of whether or not I should take it as a compliment or an insult on my status." Marcello again interrupted me making me roll my eyes at him.

This wasn't the first time I called Marcello a pet name, so I knew he was trying to take my mind off the situation. Perhaps it was the fact that he held office with others and that calling him by such a moniker in front of his soldiers was wrong? It appeared as though he was attempting to delay me or have me forget why I had contacted him.

"This is a serious situation, Marcello, and it requires your immediate attention. How soon can you arrive here? I-" He again interrupted me before I could finish my sentence.

"There is something I need to take care of, Princess. When I'm done, we can pick up where we left off." Marcello hung up the phone without waiting for me to finish even though his eyes appeared to be fixed on something in front of him. His voice had lost its playful quality.

My phone fell on the bed next to me as I sighed. Marcello and I had an immediate impulse to speak.

Although I had no idea what to do, what Stella had advised about withholding the information from Marcello may have been the proper course of action. Both what Stella had instructed me to do and letting Marcello fall into such a trap were unacceptable to me. Never in my life had I killed somebody!

The information made me laugh because I thought I was going crazy. If Marcello hadn't arrived soon, I was about to lose it. Maybe I needed to pray.

I had to be present to make sure he wouldn't commit any crimes after hearing what I had to say to him, so this conversation just couldn't be had over the phone.

If Marcello learned that I was aware of the situation while keeping him in the dark about whether or not it was true, he would undoubtedly be extremely angry; yet, if he learned that it was true, many people will die. I didn't have the power to stop a war. What prompted Stella to open her big mouth and tell me everything?

Two things affected me the most in all of this. But would Marcello truly desert me for retaliation? There was still a very strong likelihood that Stella would carry out the deed even after being begged not to since she insisted that she had to. Simply put, this was too much to handle. It was absurd to say that I needed to commit a crime as well.

Gosh, as a mafia princess I was completely useless.

In my room, I spent what felt like an eternity moving back and forth. I decided to take a shower and had dinner with my parents since my brain was feeling incredibly exhausted. Then, I went back to my room and checked my phone to see if Marcello had contacted me, but he hadn't.