Best Part

Best Part by Daniel Caesar, H.E.R

________

Y/N's POV

I woke up on the right side of the bed this morning. I can't remember feeling this happy before, and with that, I decided to go for a scenic run on the beach. It's still the crack of dawn, and the sun is still hiding away, but I didn't mind that. My mind began to drift off to the thought of her and how our day went yesterday, and that gave me enough energy to run further than I planned. By the end of it, I checked my watch, and it told me I ran thirteen miles in total. Wow, that didn't feel like the amount of distance I ran. Is this what it feels like when you're running happily?

As I'm walking by the boardwalk, a lady, probably around her early thirties selling beach jewerelies caught my eye. I stopped in my tracks, and made my way to the vendor to inspect further. There were a lot of choices that I know Lizzie would like, but there was one in particular that I found that I know she would love. So, I bought her one.

"That's a great choice." The lady said softly. "It's something you give to a person you always want to be with."

I smiled widely, and went on about my day. I couldn't stop playing with the bracelet on the walk back, and all I could think about was giving this to her and seeing her reaction. Then, what the lady said earlier repeatedly rang in my head. Suddenly, my heart did something I didn't think it could do.

After I showered, here I am, standing in front of her doorstep, contemplating if I should knock. It's still a little early, and I'm afraid that I'll wake her up from her sleep. But, at the same time, I don't think I can wait any longer. I really want to see her. I can't explain the type of excitement my body is feeling, but I just know that I want to see her more than I anticipated.

I knocked gently, regretting it right after. When I heard footsteps heading my way, I suddenly felt nervous. Then, the door opened, and my face drew the biggest smile. I feel complete already.

"Are you hungry?" I asked.

"A little, yeah."

"Have breakfast with me."

"Okay." Lizzie smiled. "Let me just grab my coat, and I'll meet you here in a second."

I only waited for a minute until she reunited back with me. Here I am again, finding myself cheesing over the little gestures. We're just walking but something about the simple gesture made me feel like it's something special. I don't know what it is about her, but I feel a lot when she's around. A good kind of a lot.

I wasn't planning on asking her to have breakfast with me, so I began to panic when we got outside. Most of the restaurants around the resort are still closed, but luckily, there's one that just opened not too long ago. To top it off, it's facing the breathtaking ocean view front, the orange hues of the sky from the sun barely making its return, hard to go unnoticed. This is quite romantic.

Like a gentlewoman, I pulled her seat, so she wouldn't have to do that herself. When I made it in front of her, I couldn't help but smile like an idiot, eager to give her what I got from the vendor earlier.

"I have something for you."

"Ooooh, what is it?"

I slid my hand into my pocket before I got down on one knee. I looked up at her and flashed her a smile before putting the ankle bracelet around her right foot.

"It looks great on you." I said.

"You got me an ankle bracelet?"

"I did, yes. I went on a run earlier and saw that, and I just knew that I had to get it for you." I remembered the memory. "Do you like it?"