Strange

Strange by Celeste

________

Lizzie's POV

It's crazy how our relationship drastically changed these past couple of days. I went from dreaming about kissing her, to making it a reality. It gives my heart butterflies thinking about the many more I would have with her. Because, by the end of the night, I think it's time she knows that I still love her. I'm planning on telling her when she comes back.

And so, I began to fill the buckets with sand to build our castle. I wasn't going to start without her, so after that, I sat comfortably, facing toward the abyss of the ocean, waiting for her to come back. As time went on, hours passed by, I started to get worried. But, I still waited. I remembered how she waited for me back at the beach three years ago, and so I did. But, unfortunately, Y/N never came back.

My gaze lowered to my feet, I walked inside the building with my thoughts swarming with more questions than before. I'm an overthinker, so it was easy for me to think of the worst case scenarios. I don't like the feeling it's giving me, but I couldn't help but let the negative thoughts win. I sure hope she's okay. Wherever she is.

When I made it in front of her room, I knocked on her door a couple of times, patiently waiting for an answer. There was none. I called and texted her phone multiple times, but I came empty handed. I couldn't bear the thought of her not knowing where she was, so I went to her friend's room, hoping they'd know.

"Hey, Miles, I'm sorry to be bothering you this late, but would you happen to know where Y/N is?"

His complexion changed, almost like he's afraid to answer my question and that scared me more than anything.

"Did something happen? Is she okay?"

There's a moment of silence, "Yeah, she is."

"That's a relief." I said. "Do you know where she is?"

"Yeah I do." He struggled to make eye contact. "She left with Florence a couple of hours ago. I know that—"

I couldn't process anything after that. His voice became muffled as the sound of my heart breaking was the only thing I could hear. My body felt paralyzed. Everything in me hurts. My chest was the first one to go. I couldn't breathe, and quite frankly I feel like everything in me is falling apart at an alarming rate.

When I made it in my room, I shut the door behind me. I leaned my back against the door as I slowly slid toward the ground with my hand against my chest because I couldn't control my emotions anymore. And that's where I broke completely.

This was the last thing I expected to happen. I almost didn't want to believe it, but reality always kicks in, reminding me that no matter how bad I want this to be nothing but a bad dream, it's real and I'm left to deal with the pain of it all.

I cried myself to sleep. Everything was good. I was finally happy with her. I've worked so hard trying to get where I wanted us to be, but just like that, it came crashing down in a matter of hours. She left with her and not with me. And the worst part of it all, deep down in me, I know I deserve this. Maybe, I'm not meant to be happy in the long run.

I woke up in the middle of the night. I couldn't go back to sleep, so I went outside for some air. I looked up at the moon, somehow, still hoping that none of this was real. It hurts to think about it, and as much as I want to put a stop to it, I couldn't. She's all I think about and more.

When I heard laughter coming behind me, I hid as fast as I could. I recognize that laugh, it's her. And it turns out, I was right. But, my heart completely shattered when I saw Florence with her arm linked against Y/N as they disappeared into the hallway.