CHAPTER 27: THE REAL WORLD

After sleeping a whole day and night away, Lin Qiushi finally woke up. His fever had long subsided, and although his body was still lacking strength, he was now able to walk on his own. The doctor examined him one last time and stated that Lin Qiushi needed to stay for another day to replenish the lost electrolytes and fluids in his body, and that he would be discharged from the hospital the day after.

Cheng Qianli had been accompanying him this entire time. Upon hearing the doctor's words, Cheng Qianli reassured the other, saying that his precious cat was being fed well and that he shouldn't to rush back home but, instead, focus on recuperating.

Lin Qiushi thanked him.

Now at ease, he rested in the hospital bed, and for the first time in his life, he felt that a hospital could be so pleasant and cordial. After suffering several days in the door world, he had finally returned to the real world. While he was trapped within the world of the door, he felt as though he had been separated from reality for a long time, as if reality was merely a distant, intangible dream that he would never be able to reach. But, in actuality, not even ten minutes had passed in the real world.

On the third day, Cheng Qianli handled all of the hospital discharge procedures for Lin Qiushi, then drove Lin Qiushi back to his place.

Once he and Cheng Qianli arrived at his residence, Lin Qiushi fished out his keys and opened the door. He hadn't even stepped through the doorway yet, when he heard his dearest Chestnut mewling cutely, as if it wanted to be spoiled. He raised his head in eagerness, only to spot Ruan Nanzhu nonchalantly sitting on his sofa, reading a book. And as of this moment, Chestnut, who was always so cold and unfriendly to him, ignoring him at times and attacking him at other times, was meowing oh-so-sweetly and rubbing her head against Ruan Nanzhu's ankle. If not all, Chestnut even rolled on its back, revealing its soft, fluffy belly, and gazed up at Ruan Nanzhu with shining eyes, begging to be cuddled.

Lin Qiushi used to experience his endearing cat's adorable treatment. Back then, his cat would always try to seek his affection like that. But Chestnut began to avoid him recently; it was as if Chestnut hated him to the core. It wouldn't let Lin Qiushi get close to it, and it wouldn't let him pet it or even snuggle it; even kissing it was impossible!

With eyes filled with envy, Lin Qiushi stared fervently at this scene, burning this image into his mind. Perhaps it was because he clearly felt the other's piecing glare of jealousy directed at him, but Ruan Nanzhu, who had been reading the book the entire time, finally raised his head and glanced at the other, "Is everything fine?"

"En." Lin Qiushi meekly made his way over to Ruan Nanzhu, reservedly taking a seat beside him, and pretended to just casually pick up the cat, as if this wasn't his true intention in the first place. But who could've imagined that Chestnut would twist its fluffy bottom in annoyance and escape from his grasp.

Lin Qiushi shed tears of sorrow: "...Chestnut, don't you love Dad?"

Ruan Nanzhu had no words to say. He simply bent over at his waist and easily lifted Chestnut, holding the cat in his arms. Chestnut purred happily and began nuzzling its head against Ruan Nanzhu's chest.

"Touch it." Ruan Nanzhu adjusted Chestnut and exposed its fur to Lin Qiushi.

Overcome with emotions, Lin Qiushi cautiously reached out and touched his cat. "My Chestnut, whatever happened to you? Don't you recognize Dad?"

Like a pitiful father who had just lost his daughter, Lin Qiushi's heart was deeply grieved. Utterly heartbroken, he watched as the cat he painstakingly raised, cared for and treasured all his life stuck to another man. It was only natural he felt a twinge of bitter envy.