Chapter 69: Match Made in Heaven

Lin Qiushi guessed that most likely, the key would be linked to the dean's office. Ruan Nanzhu supposed the same, so the two of them simply waited for night to come.

Seeing them calmly waiting, Feng Yongle too settled down his thrumming anxiety.

The long, winding day finally passed. When the hour hand pointed to 8, the sun dipped under the horizon, leaving the sanitarium to be wholly swallowed by darkness once more.

Ruan Nanzhu and Lin Qiushi were in their room.

At 8 o'clock, no sound of high heels came. Instead, Lin Qiushi heard a man's awful screaming, coming from a place not far from where they were. Lin Qiushi was familiar with this scream. It was Jiang Yingrui—or rather, the dean.

Feng Yongle, at first standing by the window, poked his head outside when he heard this. Then he spoke quietly, "come look at this..."

Lin Qiushi went, and saw what was outside.

At the foot of the building, the nurse had once again appeared in her mangled form. She was dragging an unidentifiable corpse in her hand, slowly crossing beneath them, and finally up the stairs.

Though it was impossible to recognize the actual corpse, judging by its clothing, it was the dean.

Lin Qiushi heard a child crying, and glanced at Ruan Nanzhu, only to see his placid expression like he hadn't heard a thing.

After a moment's hesitation, Lin Qiushi told Ruan Nanzhu about the noise he heard.

Ruan Nanzhu read the words he typed and went briefly quiet in thought. "I'll go look for the key on the top floor. You two wait for me at the door to the tunnel."

Hearing this Lin Qiushi shook his head in disagreement: I'm going with you.

Feng Yongle, awkwardly, "then I'll go along too." Seeing two women take such risks for him was a difficult thing to bear.

But who'd've thought that Ruan Nanzhu would just shoot him a look, and say: "You can just go to the tunnel."

Feng Yongle, "..." Was he imagining it? Or was there actually a touch of distaste in Ruan Nanzhu's voice?

Feng Yongle struggled to say something more, but then Ruan Nanzhu waved, grabbed Lin Qiushi, and simply left, leaving Feng Yongle where he stood, not knowing whether to laugh or to cry.

Ruan Nanzhu and Lin Qiushi went up to the sixth floor.

Today was quite different from the days before. The nurse no longer sprinted along the halls, no longer jumped endlessly off the building. She seemed to have found what she wanted, and so was at peace.

Ruan Nanzhu and Lin Qiushi came to the dean's office door.

Inside was dark, and quiet. There didn't seem to be any oddities at play. Ruan Nanzhu reached for the knob, and with a light tug and click, the wooden door before them. He entered, patting along the wall for the light switch.

The lights turned on, illuminating everything in the entire room. After adjusting to the brightness for a few seconds, Lin Qiushi saw that that last picture frame had indeed been filled.

But the picture inside the frame wasn't a solo portrait, instead featured a couple.

The man wore a doctor's coat, and the woman wore a nurse's uniform. The man's expression was a bit stiff, but the woman's smile was sweet, and seemed wholly satisfied.

Ruan Nanzhu eyed the frame, before fetching a chair. Because the frame was hung a bit high, he had to step on something to reach.

Lin Qiushi's gaze fell onto the rest of the room. Suddenly, he noticed that one of the drawers had been opened, and so slowly approached.