Chapter 74: The Right Apparel

With people as mirror, one can gain from loss. But Lin Qiushi didn't know yet what to "gain from loss" meant from the hint.

After the girl who was burned to death last night appeared whole and hale in the restaurant, Lin Qiushi noticed that, in the restaurant, many people were looking on with unsettled expressions. These were likely those living in rooms close to where the incident occurred, and so had seen everything that happened in the corridor, thus knew that the girl in front of them was not human...

As for the culprit responsible for getting the girl killed—Xia-jie was clearly still unaware of what had gone down.

She was still casually chatting with the girl: "Wenjing, how was everything last night? How did you and Xiao Mian sleep? Nothing happened, right?"

The girl who'd burned to death was named Wenjing, and Xiao Mian was the girl rooming with her.

"Nothing, Xia-jie." Wenjing's smile was tranquil, and she spoke in a slow and languid tone. "Nothing happened at all last night..."

Xia-jie smiled. "That's good."

The restaurant had been somewhat lively at first. But upon Wenjing's arrival, it went a bit distressingly quiet. Those who knew what happened last night all began to leave, casting Wenjing disquieted looks as they went.

Xia-jie seemed to notice these strange glances, and stopped to think. Her expression, once smiling, became a touch more severe and cold. Then she got up, found an excuse, and left—it seemed that when it came to reading the room, she was still quite sensitive.

As Xia-jie went, Wenjing didn't try to stop her, only watched on with a small smile, her gaze hair-rising.

Cheng Yixie said, "should we go too?"

Ruan Nanzhu nodded. "Let's."

Not many people were left in the restaurant, aside from Wenjing, who was taking her time to eat. Only a few people on the thick side remained in their seats, completely ignorant to what was going on, judging by their expressions.

But when Lin Qiushi's group got to the door of the restaurant, they heard a fierce argument going on outside.

Lin Qiushi went out to have a look, and found Xia-jie and Wenjing's roommate Xiao Mian fighting.

"It's your fault, it's your fault—if it weren't for what you said, Wenjing wouldn't have died!" Xiao Mian was Wenjing's roommate, and had seen Wenjing's awful death with her own eyes. She was practically broken down, her weeping woven through with resentment and fury. "You want to get us all killed! Wenjing's come back now to get revenge on you. Fucking bitch, just you wait!"

Xia-jie scoffed, and retorted without any airs of politeness, "what are you talking about, I got her killed? Did I know breaking mirrors means death? That mouth of yours can eat whatever it wants but don't talk shit now, missy."

Listening in on their conversation, Lin Qiushi quietly asked Ruan Nanzhu, standing beside him: "Does this count as Xia-jie killing Wenjing?"

Ruan Nanzhu shook his head.

"Then what would count?" Lin Qiushi didn't really understand what were judged as murders inside the doors.

"Typically it only counts if you did it yourself," Ruan Nanzhu explained. "Take them for example. Xia-jie genuinely didn't know that breaking mirrors would get her killed.

Lin Qiushi, "..."

Ruan Nanzhu, "she only gave Wenjing a suggestion. As for whether or not Wenjing wanted to follow that suggestion, that's a different story."