Print Extra: Qiushi and His Cat

Why should he use human standards to make demands of a wild creature?

Lin Qiushi owned a very pretty cat.

Cats were typically very proud animals, which was true for the one at Lin Qiushi's. This cat was very picky about its food; if Lin Qiushi didn't make it, it didn't eat it. Its favorite thing to do was, as the sun set, lie indolently along the long garden bench. Soft illumination would gild the cat's body in a layer of beautiful gold, and Lin Qiushi would approach the cat, scratch under the cat's chin, and ask what it wanted to eat for dinner.

The cat said nothing. It gave Lin Qiushi's fingers a lick, and Lin Qiushi's figure was reflected back in its black pupils.

Lin Qiushi understood the cat's meaning, and laughed, "okay."

There likely wasn't anybody in this world who could dislike such a cute creature. It was sometimes cold and sometimes warm, but its enigmatic personality was so very difficult to put down.

After dinner, Lin Qiushi sat on the sofa, and so the cat laid on his leg.

The TV in front of them played a scary movie, but no matter how gory the scene, neither Lin Qiushi nor the cat looked the slightest bit scared.

Some time later, the cat seemed to get a bit bored. It yawned, climbed onto Lin Qiushi's shoulder, and nudged at the top of Lin Qiushi's head with its chin.

"Sleepy?" Lin Qiushi asked the cat.

The cat nodded, fitting its chin over Lin Qiushi's shoulder. Lin Qiushi turned and smelled the fragrance of hair wash. The shampoo they used at home was a mix of fruits quite mellow in scent, just like the cat currently leaning into him.

Lin Qiushi scritched the cat's chin, and the cat's pretty black eyes nearly closed, its expression one of satisfaction.

Lin Qiushi laughed, "what about the movie then? Are we not going to finish it? You're the one who picked it out."

The movie was actually pretty well-made, but compared to the things they'd been through, it was honestly kind of dry. Of course the picky kitty was unsatisfied.

The cat bit onto Lin Qiushi's finger, slowly grinding its teeth in disgruntlement. It seemed to be both begging for affection and also chastising.

And as a perfect "slave" to the cat Lin Qiushi could only give in. He sighed and nodded, agreeing to the cat's proposition with his eyes brimming with indulgence.

"Alright, we'll stop watching then."

He lifted a hand and turned off the TV.

The cat sidled closer, calling softly in his ear.

Lin Qiushi instantly understood the cat. his kitty was saying, "is the movie better-looking than me?"

He turned, and saw his kitty's beautiful profile. Even after so many years, Lin Qiushi had never seen a face prettier than his cat's.

He answered the cat's question with a smile, "of course not."

The cat was satisfied, and left teeth prints on Lin Qiushi's cheek.

Lin Qiushi actually quite liked the way the cat left its mark like this. Wild animals and humans had their differences, after all.

Why should he use human standards to make demands of a wild creature? Even if this creature...appeared to have been completely tamed by him, and had gotten used to the life of a house cat.

But a wild animal was a wild animal in the end. Even if it normally looked like a lazy kitty, the moment it opened its mouth, it revealed its sharp teeth.

Lin Qiushi grinned. As for him, as long as he knew those teeth would never bite him, that was enough.