Chapter 67: The Death of Jiang Yingrui

"What does that mean? What do you mean the doctor isn't part of the institution?" Feng Yongle didn't understand Ruan Nanzhu's words at all, asking, utterly lost, "are you saying the dean of medicine's a ghost?"

Ruan Nanzhu, "you saw the portraits in the dean's office, didn't you?"

Feng Yongle nodded.

Ruan Nanzhu, "that nurse clearly can attack the NPCs in here. If the dean is in this sanitarium, there's no way he could've escaped." Here he went silent for a bit in thought. "Of course, there's one other possibility—that he has a way of avoiding the nurse. But we haven't seen him here at all, so I'm leaning toward option two."

Lin Qiushi listened closely to Ruan Nanzhu's analysis.

"Option two." Ruan Nanzhu held up two fingers, and spoke softly. "He's not in the sanitarium at all."

Feng Yongle still looked blank, but Lin Qiushi understood what Ruan Nanzhu meant—that the dean was hidden among the people who'd come through the door, just like Xu Jin from the sister's drum door.

Seeing that Feng Yongle still didn't understand, Ruan Nanzhu could only sigh, and explain once more in detail.

Afterward, Feng Yongle looked on in disbelief. "How is that possible? Among the people who came in, that's gotta be against the rules..."

Ruan Nanzhu, "so what if it is? There are no set rules in these worlds anyways."

Feng Yongle scratched his head, still stuck, it seemed, behind the bend.

"Of course, it's only a guess for now. We're still waiting for proof," Ruan Nanzhu said. "But we can now say for sure the key has something to do with all those pictures in the dean's office."

Feng Yongle nodded. "Right, weren't we going to go take a look at the corpse storage room?"

Ruan Nanzhu, "after breakfast."

And so the three began to slowly eat once again.

Once breakfast was done, they continued as planned from yesterday, and headed for the corpse storage.

At that room, Lin Qiushi wasn't surprised to find a portion of the bodies missing. Only two-thirds of the body bags, once stacked to the ceiling, were left. Some seemed to have been moved elsewhere last night.

Watching the bodies in this room, Ruan Nanzhu went silent in contemplation.

"The missing bodies must've been taken to the tunnel," Feng Yongle spoke quietly from the side. "Are we supposed to sneak out and follow them at night? But if we come across that nurse..." Here, he must have recalled the awful death of Xue Zhiyun, his whole body shuddering.

Ruan Nanzhu, "coming out and getting killed by the nurse is still better than waiting around to die. Plus, there are some rules that don't have to be followed."

Indeed. Lin Qiushi still remembered the woman in the rain world, in which Ruan Nanzhu ignored the butler's rules, broke into the lady of the house's art studio, and got them the key to leave the door. If they did really just obey the NPC's rules in every single world, who knew how many times they'd have died by now?

There were rules that had to be followed. But there were also rules that had to be broken. Of course, determining the standard for that was an individual exercise. One wrong choice could mean paying the price with your life.

It really seemed the case that the more doors you went through, the easier it was to accumulate reliable experience. Training at such high volumes like Ruan Nanzhu wasn't insensible, was Lin Qiushi's train of thought.