CHAPTER 42: THE BLACK FRAME

"I will never be able sleep in that bed. I will definitely never be able to sleep in that sweet, cozy bed in this lifetime of mine. But it doesn't matter, because the floor here is straight and hard. I like it very much. That's right, I love this super hard floor..." Helplessly lying on the cold, uncomfortable ground, Tan Zaozao had resorted to hypnotizing herself.

At Ruan Nanzhu's merciless refusal, the puny Tan Zaozao was forced to sleep on the floor once again, while the two large grown men squeezed into one soft bed. Of course, she didn't forget to curse madly in her heart as she made her own pathetic-looking floor bed; she deeply hoped that her prayers for that bastard's suffering somehow reached Lin Qiushi, and that he'd make that lousy Ruan Nanzhu's life an absolute living hell.

After their midday rest, it began to drizzle outside.

Dark, heavy clouds amassed in the somber skies. Crystalline droplets of rain fell to the earth at intermittent intervals, issuing crisp pitter-patters as they shattered against the cold ground. Having woken up from his nap, Lin Qiushi stood by windowsill, quietly gazing at the scenery outside.

Through the window, he observed the lush shrubs adorning the castle grounds.

The thriving brambles appeared to be a species of shrub roses. Unfortunately, springtime had yet to arrive and the edges of the bushes hadn't been pruned either, leaving them with the dismal view of an overgrown wreckage bereft of gorgeous flowers.

The atmosphere grew dense and humid with the rain, and that distinctive stench of water began pervading their surroundings. Yet, the smell wasn't nearly as intense as it was the night before; it merely lingered in the air, faint yet ever-present.

"What are they doing outside?" Tan Zaozao came over to have a peek, only to see three individuals strolling about with umbrellas.

The three individuals were all people who had also entered this world with them. As of this moment, they appeared to be searching for something.

"They're probably looking for some clues." Lin Qiushi curiously watched them. "Maybe we should look around, as well?"

Tan Zaozao asked, "Should we go?"

Lin Qiushi turned around to face Ruan Nanzhu, who was still relaxing in bed without a care for anything.

Under his questioning stare, Ruan Nanzhu lazily replied, "No." His tone was bored, and his face, stony, "I hate the rain."

Lin Qiushi hummed, "Then we won't go."

The people outside ventured even deeper into the bushes, eventually disappearing from Lin Qiushi's line of sight.

"I dislike getting wet from the rain." Ruan Nanzhu, who finally got out from bed, casually wore his coat and put on his shoes. "We haven't finished exploring the rest of this castle. Let's go."

The castle was so large and spacious that it was practically impossible to thoroughly inspect in one morning.

Before that incident with Xiao Su transpired, the mood of the crowd was merely tense and anxious; but now, it could be said that it was spiritless, despairingly lifeless. Most of them simply sat in the cheerless dining hall, not daring to move from their spots.

And just like so, a whole day passed.

After another lavish dinner came to an end, the others dragged their feet all the way back to their living quarters. Ruan Nanzhu asked Lin Qiushi if he was afraid to be alone.

Lin Qiushi shook his head, "I'll be fine. But if anything happens, I'll come look for you right away."

Ruan Nanzhu gave a brisk nod and watched as Lin Qiushi entered his room, before swiveling around and stepping into his own bedroom.