Chapter 109: Opening Restrictions

When the two left the bathroom, they headed straight back to the living room and found Xiao Ji, who'd gotten the stethoscope out of the chest the day before.

Yesterday Xiao Ji had opened three chests all in one breath. He was fortunate to not have immediately died. One chest had an item for the humans to use, one had a skill for Hako Onna, and one had been empty.

When Lin Qiushi and Ruan Nanzhu found Xiao Ji, Wei Xiude was sitting beside him.

Ruan Nanzhu explained the situation, indicating that the stethoscope could distinguish whether or not the Hako Onna was inside a chest. If they opened the chest after using it, then the risk would be greatly diminished.

Wei Xiude didn't say anything after, but Xiao Ji shot to attention.

"Really? This stethoscope's really that useful? Then we've hit the jackpot, we can just listen our way through."

"There must be a usage limit on this item," Ruan Nanzhu said. "You can go try it on a chest first."

After listening to their conversation, Wei Xiude still didn't speak up, acting as if he was just a bystander. Though he seemed harmless, nobody who made it to their tenth door was easy pickings—everybody was quite clear on this. Plus, all the newbies he'd brought along was telling.

Xiao Ji put on the stethoscope and picked out a random chest in the living room. Putting the stethoscope to the wooden exterior, he gave it a long listen before turning around and saying, "there's no sound inside."

"Try opening it," Ruan Nanzhu said.

"Why don't you do it?" Xiao Ji said. "I'm a bit scared."

He said he was scared, but there wasn't a single touch of fright on his face. Clearly, he just didn't want to shoulder the risk of opening the chest.

Ruan Nanzhu's lips curved up.

"Sure, I can do it, but if I open up an item, who gets to keep it?"

Xiao Ji said, "me, of course. I'm the one who picked this chest."

Ruan Nanzhu, lazily, "as if. I take all the risks and you keep all the benefits?"

Xiao Ji thought about it, and seemed to find Ruan Nanzhu's words logical. He got ready to open the chest himself, but Ruan Nanzhu suddenly thought of something.

"Wait. I want to give the chest a listen."

"Hm?" Xiao Ji was a bit thrown.

Ruan Nanzhu first pressed himself to the chest and listened for a while. And then he waved Lin Qiushi and Liang Miye over. The three listened around the chest for another bit of time, until Ruan Nanzhu finally got up and gave Xiao Ji a wave.

"Okay, open it."

At least Xiao Ji was brave. Among the newbies who'd entered, he wasn't in a bad condition, nor did he show any signs of pending emotional breakdown. After rubbing his palms together, he took hold of the lid of the chest and gave it a hefty lift—

The chest opened with a click, revealing the empty bottom. There was nothing inside.

"Empty." Xiao Ji was disappointed that they hadn't opened up any useful items.

"Come here for a second," Ruan Nanzhu said. "Come with me to the bathroom."

"Ah." Xiao Ji eyed Ruan Nanzhu up and down. "That's...not gonna work, right?"

Ruan Nanzhu, "I said come to the bathroom, not use it. Let's go."

Xiao Ji laughed and followed Ruan Nanzhu to the bathroom.