CHAPTER 44: THE VIEW INSIDE THE FRAME

As far as that newcomer was concerned, Ruan Nanzhu seemed particularly averse to her since day one.

Lin Qiushi asked him whether he sensed something was off about her from the start, but who would've imagined Ruan Nanzhu would give him a shallow answer in return, "No. I just hate people who start crying the moment they enter these door worlds. People like that usually ask too many questions and are too troublesome to deal with." After stating this, he looked down at Lin Qiushi, his eyes deepening with immense satisfaction, and beamed. "You don't tend to ask that many questions or pry much, and I like that."

Lin Qiushi: "..." He should probably be thankful for his own lack of curiosity.

Yang Meishu was the name of this so-called newcomer. Perhaps the greatest mistake she could've ever made was pretending to be a complete newbie. As soon as she entered the door world, she began to sob persistently, thus provoking Ruan Nanzhu's loathing. Had she changed her approach and acted cute instead, she genuinely might've had a chance to get closer to Ruan Nanzhu—just as Xu Jin had in the previous world.

"Didn't you say there is only one clue for every door?" Tan Zaozao was fairly confused after reading the slip of paper in Lin Qiushi's hand. "What exactly is the deal with this note?"

"Not necessarily. It just that such instances are quite rare," clarified Ruan Nanzhu. "I have encountered this particular situation a few times before. As for the reason two different notes can exist within the same door, I don't have an explanation to offer, since I, myself, do not know. Perhaps this phenomenon is triggered by special conditions?" Ruan Nanzhu pinched the slip of paper between his fingers, and pondered deeply, "Or perhaps...the individuals who've obtained such notes are the special ones." Of course, these were merely conjectures of his, speculations that could not be proven at present time.

"So, how's everything with Yang Meishu right now?" Lin Qiushi wondered. "Does she know you've already figured out her true identity?"

Ruan Nanzhu smiled merrily, "Who knows for the time being, but we will find out, very soon." His tone was light and relaxed, "I truly hope she'll still be alive by the time she figures it out."

Lin Qiushi: "..." A devilish malice surged within the depths of Ruan Nanzhu's eyes, glaringly obvious and frighteningly chilling.

*******

Deeply embosomed in the quietude of the serene night, Yang Meishu lay in bed.

That beautiful man did not show up at the dining hall to eat with the others during the day. It seemed that her plan worked out without any hitches. He had brought this upon himself. Who told him to refuse her sincere advances? Yang Meishu felt a twinge of regret as she reminisced about that fine man. She was honestly quite fond of him, and he could have also lived until the end; it was such a pity that wasn't possible any more.

As of right now, two people's deaths had been confirmed. Of course, Yang Meishu's ultimate goal was still far from her reach, but she wasn't in a hurry; after all, the whole situation was entirely under her control, playing out exactly as she desired in the palms of her hands. As long as the humans within this door world were slowly killed off, according to the laws of these door worlds, she, the remaining survivor, would be invincible. And when that time came, the matter concerning the key or the door to escape this hell could easily be resolved.

As for that particular rule where one shouldn't kill another in the door worlds—the dead who sought vengeance usually knew who their enemies were. But those pitiful humans who had died unjustly and had unknowingly become a wandering ghost, could barely fathom their own deaths, let alone figure out who they should get take revenge on; needless to say, how could they possibly exact a meaningless revenge if they never realized who or what led to their doom in the first place?