Chapter 77: What Happened Inside the Door

In the dark hallway, Ruan Nanzhu kept looking at his watch.

Five minutes wasn't much time at all. Inside the more dangerous doors especially, it was gone in a flash.

Lin Qiushi had gone into the room, and everything was quiet. There was only the flickering fire at the end of the hallway to look at.

The second hand ticked on. One round, two rounds, three... On its fourth time around, Cheng Yixie couldn't take it anymore, and quietly asked, "will he make it?"

Ruan Nanzhu glanced at Cheng Yixie and didn't say a word. But his eyes answered—Lin Qiushi would definitely make it.

Cheng Yixie sighed internally, and said nothing more.

Thirty seconds left, and there was still no movement inside the door.

There was movement inside the mirrors however. Luo Qianshui could sometimes be seen darting an dodging about; it seemed that five minutes truly was her limit.

Ruan Nanzhu's gaze was fixed on the second hand of his watch.

Beside him, Luo Qianshan suddenly said, "Qianshui, don't push yourself."

With only fifteen seconds left until their rendezvous time and Lin Qiushi still nowhere to be seen, things weren't looking good. Luo Qianshan wasn't surprised by this outcome. The world of the doors was already dangerous, and on top of that, they'd kept something hidden.

The key really was hanging on a wall. It was just not the only key on the wall. Luo Qianshan had confidence in Zhu Meng, and felt with certainty that had Zhu Meng been the one to go, she definitely could have found the real key within five minutes. But as for the one called Yu Linlin, he couldn't be sure.

But as the decision had been made by Zhu Meng's group, Luo Qianshan hadn't bothered to say anything.

Tick, tock, tick, tock. A few seconds seemed so long in times like this.

Luo Qianshui stumbled out of the mirror, apparently injured. She asked, "did we get it?"

Luo Qianshan, seeing her exit, shook his head with a heavy expression.

But just as they spoke, there came a light clang from the hallway, like something falling on the carpeting.

What others may not have been able to see, Ruan Nanzhu saw as clear as day—the moment before the door closed, a green copper key was flung outside. There was no question who had thrown it. The key was out, but the person was still trapped within.

A cloying malaise surfaced in Ruan Nanzhu's eyes.

He slowly approached the happy-looking Luo Qianshan, who was speaking to Luo Qianshui. Sensing something was off beside him, Luo Qianshan made to turn, but immediately felt something cold and sharp pressed against his neck.

"Go in," came Ruan Nanzhu's cold voice.

"What?" Luo Qianshui startled. "What are you doing—"

Her eyes went huge; apparently she hadn't at all expected Ruan Nanzhu to turn on them like this.

Ruan Nanzhu looked at his watch, then without hesitation pressed harder. The sharp dining knife pierced Luo Qianshan's skin and drew bright red blood. Luo Qianshan snapped, "kill me if you can then!"

But then Ruan Nanzhu smiled and asked, "you think I won't?"

Luo Qianshui didn't answer. She could tell from Ruan Nanzhu's voice that the person before her really would do it—would plunge that sharp blade right into her brother's neck.